Is it just me? (ugly blanks)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
Is it just me, or does everyone have this issue?

It seems to me that the ugliest pen blanks always turn out to be the nicest pens. I first noticed this with my homebrew blanks. I would make a run of blanks and there would always be at least one blank that i thought was going to make the ugliest pen ever. I would not look forward to turning that blank because i was afraid that i would hate it and part it right back off of the tube, wasting all that time and energy. Then to my amazement, the blank would be amazing on the inside, and would turn out to be a pen so nice i would have a hard time selling it.

More recently, I have started noticing it happening with wood as well. I have bought some different species of wood and recieved some awesome blanks from friends, and the ones that are gnarled up crusty little hunks are always the prettiest inside.

Hmmm. I have a Hickory Burl (i think) blank that is so gnarley it will be a challenge to get a drill bit through it without problems! Maybe i should get a kit for it! If it is anything like the trend i have seen, this would be a show stopper!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JerrySambrook

I has one we created from the shavings of turning some exotic wood (no not Dawns blanks).

I named it "the dookie" for the obvious reason.
When I showed it around, saying it was going to be my entry into the ugly pen contest, I had quite a few people wanting it, saying it was a cool pen.

I guess it is just we look at some of the things we get to play with, and then what really gets seen

Jgrden

"Hmmm. I have a Hickory Burl (i think) blank that is so gnarley it will be a challenge to get a drill bit through it without problems! Maybe i should get a kit for it! If it is anything like the trend i have seen, this would be a show stopper! " __________________

Be sure to treat the ends with some CA to prevent fraying. I had some 1790 Hickory that spread at the ends upsetting a real nice looking grain. It came from a barn in Pennsylvania. I want to see how yours will turn out. "turn", get it?

Last edited:

RAdams

Banned
"Hmmm. I have a Hickory Burl (i think) blank that is so gnarley it will be a challenge to get a drill bit through it without problems! Maybe i should get a kit for it! If it is anything like the trend i have seen, this would be a show stopper! " __________________

Be sure to treat the ends with some CA to prevent fraying. I had some 1790 Hickory that spread at the ends upsetting a real nice looking grain. It came from a barn in Pennsylvania. I want to see how yours will turn out. "turn", get it?

rofl:biggrin:

Ligget

I agree with this too, both wood and cast blanks are the same as you do not know what it is going to look like until you turn it down to the finished size.

Nothing better in this world than when you turn down a wooden blank only to find that Mother Nature has made it gorgeous inside, then with your favourite method you `pop` the grain and all your hard work has been worth it. :eek::biggrin:

Adds to the fun or frustration of penturning. :cool::rolleyes::)

Chief Hill

I have been there many times myself. Even with Oak with knots. It turns out nice the majority of the time.

capcrnch

I love to hunt down ugly blanks.
They're always some of the blanks that give the most beauty when turned.
It's the old "don't judge a book by its cover" adage!

Jmhoff10500

For me its just because i keep my expectations low so when it turns out to look anything better than a 2x4 , i think it pretty sweet! (same goes with any awesome blanks... my expectations are high so when it looks like a 2x4 that sux)

RAdams

Banned
That is one way ot look at it Jonathan! I have enjoyed this thread. It has been a fun read! Maybe we should take pictures of these ugly blanks before we start on them, so we can show off the ugly duckling that grew up to be a swan!

Rfturner

I have had it where It started out looking like the worst blank but inside was what was great, the bad part is when that is reversed, I have had several wood blanks that the color change could be so dramatic it went from about four shades of reddish brown with small knots and swirls to a single color straight grain and only one little wisp of another color, you cant judge a book by its cover

Top Bottom