Is Anything Wrong With This Lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Sorry for your experience, but glad that it is going to work-out.

Check out turning small, lidded, round boxes. They are pretty neat!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1shootist

Just had my brandnew rikon 70-1218VS dropped off by UPS today. Unless there is a safety device on this thing that I'm not aware of mine will not even power up. No motor sound, no rpm readout..NADA ! Checked the overload button under the switch box, made sure the yellow safety plug is in...nothing. This is very disappointing..I can't call Rikon til tomorrow.

epigolucky

I looked at this lathe a while back at my local WC store. I decided to go with the 70-220 VSR. The 220 had a 1hp motor, reversable, and the belt changing was easier in my opinion. I was able to get it on sale for $699. I've been very happy with it.

Woodchipper

I have a Rikon bandsaw and a lathe, 70-050VS. The lathe was replaced by the 70-220Vs, if I'm correct. Both have a 5 year warranty which tips the scale for me.

1shootist

This is fastly becoming more complicated than it should be for a brand new out of the box just received lathe. I donot feel I should have to wait for parts, then replace parts on it, which is what I was asked to do. After I declined to doso,and asked for a replacement, sure its an option.. but its at the stores descreation (rockler) if they choose to...????
Not becoming a product fan !

TonyL

They should simply take it back. If you brought it with a credit card...challenge the charge. Rockler is likely to send UPS to pick it up.
This happens to folks who buy 4k lathes, 6k guitars, and 125k cars. It is frustrating, but it happens (to me at least).

Curly

This is fastly becoming more complicated than it should be for a brand new out of the box just received lathe. I donot feel I should have to wait for parts, then replace parts on it, which is what I was asked to do. After I declined to doso,and asked for a replacement, sure its an option.. but its at the stores descreation (rockler) if they choose to...????
Not becoming a product fan !

That's your prerogative but considering it is a mass produced product in another country, shipped across an ocean, all around this continent from the port of entry to a warehouse somewhere and then to the seller and on to you, having them offer you the quickest way to get running isn't all that awful. Stuff that works when made can develop a problem along the way to you. If you don't want to wait the few days for them to send you the part and you undo the box, a few clamps, undo the wire socket and put it back together to get turning on the new toy you don't have to. To me though it is much much easier than having to repackage it in the box with all the original materials and take/send it back to exchange it and possibly wait until another is shipped to give to you. I am pretty sure if you bought a Robust they would have made the same offer of parts to fix it but the option to return if you didn't want to do the quick fix wouldn't be discretionary. All machines break or wear out at some point and would have to be fixed. Fortunately lathes are one of the simplest of all machines to fix. Hope you get it all worked out and turning soon.

1shootist

They should simply take it back. If you brought it with a credit card...challenge the charge. Rockler is likely to send UPS to pick it up.
This happens to folks who buy 4k lathes, 6k guitars, and 125k cars. It is frustrating, but it happens (to me at least).
Oh I realize that, it can happen with any consumer related goods. This is not the first item I've purchased that was doa .
I have a replacement changeout agreement in hand so it will end fine. Getting to that agreement took longer than it should have though .

1shootist

That's your prerogative but considering it is a mass produced product in another country, shipped across an ocean, all around this continent from the port of entry to a warehouse somewhere and then to the seller and on to you, having them offer you the quickest way to get running isn't all that awful. Stuff that works when made can develop a problem along the way to you. If you don't want to wait the few days for them to send you the part and you undo the box, a few clamps, undo the wire socket and put it back together to get turning on the new toy you don't have to. To me though it is much much easier than having to repackage it in the box with all the original materials and take/send it back to exchange it and possibly wait until another is shipped to give to you. I am pretty sure if you bought a Robust they would have made the same offer of parts to fix it but the option to return if you didn't want to do the quick fix wouldn't be discretionary. All machines break or wear out at some point and would have to be fixed. Fortunately lathes are one of the simplest of all machines to fix. Hope you get it all worked out and turning soon.
I appreciate your point. With it being a 70ish lb lathe and 45 mins from Rockler made my decision easier of wanting a replacement. If it were a month orso older lathe I more than likely would have approached it differently. I do expect it to work out of the box though, we all should really, regardless of where it had to come from. If it doesn't, I want another one. I don't feel this is being unrealistic that's just the way I look at it.

1shootist

Back at home with a replacement, this one powers up and turns.

I appreciate the help from the folks at Rockler in Arlington.

TonyL

Back at home with a replacement, this one powers up and turns.

I appreciate the help from the folks at Rockler in Arlington.
Glad it worked out. It stinks when your looking forward to something and it turns out to be a dud. Many happy turnings!

GraiDawg

Horrible.
Oh it goes on, i belong to a maker depot, so i was using their lathe a 1640 jet, i thought "i have never turned a bowl" so thought i would turn a bowl. as i was turning away i noticed i wasn't getting that smooth cut when its nice and round. So I check its eated nicely, the head and tailstock line up, the chuck is fiteed correctly, still getting high points, as far as i can tell a bearing or two is worn.
I have people who want cups, pens, seam rippers, I HAVE ORDERS, for money and two broken lathes. at his rate i might as well have gone to harbor freight.......

1shootist

Oh it goes on, i belong to a maker depot, so i was using their lathe a 1640 jet, i thought "i have never turned a bowl" so thought i would turn a bowl. as i was turning away i noticed i wasn't getting that smooth cut when its nice and round. So I check its eated nicely, the head and tailstock line up, the chuck is fiteed correctly, still getting high points, as far as i can tell a bearing or two is worn.
I have people who want cups, pens, seam rippers, I HAVE ORDERS, for money and two broken lathes. at his rate i might as well have gone to harbor freight.......
Have you been able to get your Rikon up and running ? I noticed just today that the replacement speed box did not rectify the issue you were having.
Sorry to hear your having problems with another it seems.

GraiDawg

Have you been able to get your Rikon up and running ? I noticed just today that the replacement speed box did not rectify the issue you were having.
Sorry to hear your having problems with another it seems.
Hi! yes i got a brand new one, this one runs a little slow 3300 instead of 3500 but as i have to drive to the store to get it replaced i'm going to live with it. Still really like the lathe, smooth and quiet
Although it not having automatic eject on the tailstock is a pain

greenacres2

Hi! yes i got a brand new one, this one runs a little slow 3300 instead of 3500 but as i have to drive to the store to get it replaced i'm going to live with it. Still really like the lathe, smooth and quiet
Although it not having automatic eject on the tailstock is a pain

Shop vac on the same circuit will take 200 RPM. No need to ask how i know that.
earl

timturner

If I can ask since you guys are talking about lathes, any one using the 1524 Laguna has out, I have turned 3inch to 10 inch segment bowls and vaces on my harbor freight ,and would like to get into a lathe with slower speed looking at powermatic and oneway also in the same price ranges. Would they make good choices for pen turning.

Top Bottom