Is anyone using this...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

I've had one (older model) for coming up on 10 years. Loud, but effective. Built a separator based on Phil Thien's ideas, not a cyclone. Haven't seen the need to upgrade. There's probably better and quieter, but seems like a good value to me.
earl

MRDucks2

I have had one for about 4 years. I went a little further than Earl, all from the forums talking about Phil Thien's separator. I made a separator, added a larger impeller of a different design and moved the motor about the separator. The larger impeller of what I would call a "normal" design quieted it down a lot. Also added 200+ CFM, helping make up for the static pressure loss of the separator.

I bought the HF model specially because I wanted to modify it. When done I will have exactly what I want for about $200 less than buying it already as a completed unit from Rikon. In its own, straight from HF it has decent suction, is very loud and passes a lot of dust through the porous filter bag.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have had one for about 8 years, much like Earl above. I have a second one, smaller that I use more because it (the smaller one) is hooked to my lathe and I do more work on it. For my TS and Miter Saw, both mobile, I use it outside more than inside. I am still rebuilding my shop. (Will it ever end?)

Bryguy

I have one. I built a separator and replaced the top bag with a proper filter. Wear ear protection, the thing sounds like an F16 taking off in the workshop. It is a decent dust collector and great value.

I have one. It's sitting on the shop floor waiting to be installed in the shed addition that I have to build - soon, very soon.
There are a gazillion videos on YouTube dealing with this unit and the modifications that can and are being done to make it the way folk want it to be. Probably the largest number deal with one or more of a couple things:
1 - the bag that comes with it is not the greatest filtration so a lot of folk add additional filtration.
2 - Adding a separator ahead of the unit. Normally a cyclone of some sort.
3 - Mounting it "in the corner on the wall". And
4 - Buying or making an impeller to increase airflow.
Check some out. I learned a lot.

Paul in OKC

Mine is probably similar. Used to be a traveling tool company, Homier I think. Had the same kind of stuff Harbor Freight had/has. Bought one of theirs. Had it for probably near twenty years now. Course I don't turn as much as some, but it still does the job.

moke

I have the Delta version of that. Mine is only 900 cfm and works great. I have two hoses coming off, one is always on the tablesaw and another to be exchanged amongst equipment. I close off the one I'm not using. I have a number of friends with ductwork and bigger units, and that is awesome, but they have a lot wrapped up in it... and I'm not saying I won't do that at some point, but I am good with this now.

JUICEDSS

I put mine in a different room because of the noise. It is ok but not great in my opinion. I need to look into the impeller mod apparently. I also use a Rockler separator.

Curly

A few things you should understand before making decisions about a DC.

The fine dust particles most dangerous to your health are 10 microns and smaller. You can't see them with the naked eye and they can hang in the air for hours after you make them. You want a filter able to capture at least 1 micron or smaller. If in a warmer climate put the DC outside or vent it outside. That will keep the shop air the cleanest.

DC air flow ratings are taken without filters or round to square adaptors and just enough test duct to take a single reading in the middle of the airflow where it is the highest. In practical terms the DC will produce half of the claimed airflow when you are using it.

A 4" duct can only flow about 400CFM at the most. A 5" flows about 800CFM at the most. And a 6" flows about 1,200CFM at most. You need 800CFM minimum at the pickup point to capture the fine dust so don't use 4". A machine needs openings in area equal to about twice the duct going to the DC in it to allow that air to flow through to get the dust it so don't close them off.

Flex hose has 3 times the airflow drag as smooth ducting does. A 10' flex hose is equal to 30' of smooth duct. Use as little of it as you can get away with.

Ray-CA

I have a small shop (about 12x18) and all my equipment is on wheels. It's like Tetris in reverse rolling stuff into the driveway so I can work outside. Keep both the main and man doors open so there is good air-flow. I'm just looking for a better collection system at the table saw, thickness planer, jointer to help cut down on the major debris.

From all of your replies, it looks like this unit will be fine, and if I do a couple of simple mod's, should work out really well.

So, thanks to all.
Ray

Top Bottom