Is a respirator necessary when turning Acrylics?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timber Ripper

I've been dealing with sinus issues for about 6 weeks now. Just about the same amount of time that I started turning more and more acrylics. Coincidence?
I don't use a respirator or dust mask because they are two restrictive and causes my glasses to fog. And Honestly? I just hate wearing one unless I absolutely have too.
Anyone else's sinus get irritated after turning acrylics?
Who here uses a respirator and if so can you recommend a brand or model that is not restrictive.
-Anthony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
My opinion, and only my opinion...

I believe a respirator is always necessary when there is any type of
airborne particulate and/or hazardous fumes.

I can't suggest a respirator, since peoples preferences vary. I would look for a full face or hood style. Both prevent fogging and introduce fresh air.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Anthony,

I developed severe problems with CA allergies two years after I started making pens, but not with turning acrylics. I too wear glasses and while I am not a big/large person (5' 10") I have large lungs. When I breath out with any face masks, or if I wear goggles, my glasses will fog. Anti-fog wipes do not work either.

I went to a respirator that fit snug. These two types:
https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Works...4&s=gateway&sprefix=Respirator,aps,191&sr=8-6
https://www.amazon.com/GVS-SPR457-E...sprefix=Respirator,aps,191&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

At first I did not like it but learned to live with it - to the point that in dry dusty weather, I wear one when cutting grass. I also wear a flip up face mask.

Face masks do not work for me. Humid air escapes up around my nose and into my glasses. No kinds of anti-fog stuff works with my lung volume. The first respirator I bought (I was overseas) had a single intake/exhaust filter and it did the same as a face mask. Then I went with a more expensive one an dual filters and larger exhaust port. I have not had a problem since then.

I had a Triton with forced air flowing but it had nicad batteries. Nicads are good for a couple of years then kaput. The expensive forced air masks are good, but you have to get used to using them.

One more thing: I tried everything I could in using other finishes so that I would not have to use a mask or respirator but in the end, if I wanted to enjoy pen making, I had to use CA on most pens. I put in a Dust Collector system and began using a respirator. It helped. I still do this. FOR my CA allergies, odorless CA really helps but I am so used to the old ways that I use regular CA and my respirator and a DC.

Talltim

Last edited:

Woodchipper

I have a respirator but can't wear it as it makes my glasses move up and out of focus. Then I get headaches. I use 3-M dust masks with the relief valve; this is under a full face mask when I'm turning. Wear the mask when doing just about anything in the shop- sanding, drilling, painting or finishing, etc. Why? My wife says to wear it.

TonyL

I don't know. But I wear a mask. have a dc, a fan creating positive pressure behind me, and a large shop air filter. I am sure there is still some stuff in my lungs. I never smoked, drank, or ...., but something will have to kill me. I do own a face shield, but don't wear it unless I am roughing a bottle stopper. I should probably wear it for safety reasons.

CaptainJane

Hi. My 2 cents. I started out building wood model ships. Many people use CA glue, and I was one of them. After an early hull planking session, when I went to bed that night, I thought I had a sudden severe case of pneumonia - my lungs were very gurgle-ey. Although I did not die, I found I have developed a severe allergy to CA glue. Well crap!

Fast forward to now, and my new penturning hobby. I love the CA finish, and wanted to use it, SO I researched and bought a 3M RUGGED COMFORT QUICK LATCH 1/2 FACE RESPIRATOR - about $20 plus cartridges. A size Small is model number 6501QL, Medium 6502QL, and Large 6203QL.

I bought a pack of dual purpose cartridges - 3M model 60926 - about $15. It is a P100 particulate/air filter on top of a Multi Gas Vapor cartridge - listed as Nuisance level organic vapors, and nuisance level acid gases. I can not smell any CA fumes, and cocobolo dust does not bother me the least - but I must wear a long sleeve shirt - don't ask how I know (big rash all over my arms).

I really like the Quick Latch feature, and it is the reason I chose this model. You just flip the latch under your chin, and the mask falls down from your mouth a few inches, allowing you to talk, drink, snack - - . When you are ready to go back to work, just flip the Quick Latch back under your chin, and you are back in business.

Turning acrylic does not bother me, just the CA. I do have a half-asses dust collection system that pulls some fumes, but the respirator is comfortable, and does not fog my safety glasses.

Last edited:
I use three things that really help.
For a respirator I use the Trend Air Shield pro. Batteries hold a charge for 8-10 hours and it's got a built in face shield.
The VA gave me some nasal spray that cuts down on the irritation from saw dust and dust in general. That really helps
At night my wife fills the diffuser in the bedroom with with essential oils. I know one is called Breathe and it fills the room with a cool mist that keeps my sinuses clear and open. There's a couple more oils she puts in the diffuser but believe it or not it helps.

Top Bottom