Is a Jacobs taper the same as a Morse taper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

The quick short answer is no! Jacobs tapers are typically found inside Jacobs style chucks and you know where you typically find Morse tapers, lathe spindles and tail stocks. Google either or both and you can probably find a chart that shows the taper starting and ending diameters and the taper lengths. The two are very different.

Fish30114

Thanks Ed and JD, JD thanks for the direct answer. I am looking around for a higher quality Jacobs chuck with an MT 2 taper. I'll look at the one at Craft Supply--don't know if they have a higher quality version--Thanks for the feedback though guys.

JD Combs Sr

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Tapers

Here is a link to the Wikipedia site showing nearly everything there is about machine accessories and tool tapers.:eek: Even some I have never heard of and I have been involved in industrial and maintenance engineering for 50+ years.:rolleyes:

Dale Allen

I got one of the ones from CSUSA, #1045760002
My other one went up to 13mm but it was never quite accurate.
This new one is very well made and I detect no runout.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
There is a chart that shows the number and specs on Jacobs chucks, the 14n is a 0-1/2 ball bearing chuck , b33 ab33 chucks are also good. I will see if I can find the reference material

Top Bottom