Interesting wood. Could use help identifying.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DB in VT

My wife and I cleaned out some underbrush and shrubs around the yard. A couple of the ones we tore out intrigued me so I cut up sone of the material just above the root ball.
Wow! What gorgeous stuff. However I have no idea what it is. It grows in clumps. The trunks get to about 4" thick. Leaves are small and there are small red berries later in the summer. Bark is silvery gray and shaggy. Location is in VT. The wood is fairly hard and reminds me of olive in its coloring.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_5008.JPG
    IMG_5008.JPG
    504 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_5010.JPG
    IMG_5010.JPG
    557.8 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_5011.JPG
    IMG_5011.JPG
    559 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_5012.JPG
    IMG_5012.JPG
    331.6 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_5014.JPG
    IMG_5014.JPG
    371.1 KB · Views: 284
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I'd say Russian Olive. I don't have first hand experience with it in the tree form, but the wood looks quite like it. It looks like it grows as a full tree in the open, but can be shrubby too. I also checked that it grows in VT, apparently it's and invasive species (which I didn't know).

donstephan

If you try some bush honeysuckle for pen bodies please let us know how it works out. Dry bush honeysuckle wood can be VERY hard, shirley hard enough for pen bodies.

DB in VT

To date, I have made 2 pens using this material. When it dries, it cracks. Both pens needed to have small cracks filled in with CA before you turn too far. I have some more that has been stabilized so the cracks should not be a problem now.
The wood is very hard, when dry. It polishes up well. I look forward to making more; there's a lot more of the wood left that will be salvaged before going to the burn pile.

naynay

My guess is an olive wood because I just was given some today and a few small pieces from the stump that has the same "swirl".

Top Bottom