Interesting thing about bleached/dyed Wenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

I cut and tubed a couple pieces of Wenge for Zens. A little while back I turned them down. leaving plenty of diameter to spare, then bleached them. I know it was no more than 2 minutes. After rinsing and letting them thoroughly dry, I used random splotches of aniline dye on one of them, thinking it would sink in fairly deep. Today, I turned off probably less than a mm of the dyed one and see that the wood looks like it was never even bleached. I guess that makes it easy to practice without cutting all the way down to the finished size, even though that wasn't my intention.
20231110_150855.jpg

leehljp

Member Liaison
Way back in the early days of this forum, someone posted a photo of a well bleached Wenge that was very white with dark stripes. I don't think the photo came over after the first big update of this forum. But it was beautiful in the color contrast. It was almost as if someone was excellent in photoshop to get such contrast and white / black-dark brown. I am not saying that it was photoshopped, but that is the only way I could probably get that kind of contrast!

It was beautiful. Wish I had saved a photo of that onto my database.

the earliest I can find bleached Wenge is this link:

. . . But it is not as white as the one pen pict that I remember.

Last edited:
Top Bottom