Interesting Source for Various Materials

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Interesting Tony. I bookmarked it for future source. I see they deal alot in Ivory and bone material too. Very interesting about the thin kerf bandsaw blades. I never knew they made such an animal. I can not use them because I have a riser block on my saw but still good to know. Thanks for the link. They are abit pricey but if need something it is there. :)

RKB

Tony, Very interesting link. You are always contributing and helping us move forward and improve.

Thank You,
Rod

JUICEDSS

While searching for one thing, I stumbled upon another. I never purchased anything from these folks, but I thought their products may interest some.

https://guitarpartsandmore.com/productCategory.php?Raffir-reg-Sparkle-Blocks-184
I just placed an order for the imitation ivory and the black pen blanks.

We will see...

This is the blackest of the black phenolics available in today's marketplace. It has been formulated for artisan applications where the following properties are required:

• Blackness
• Machinability
• Ability to take a finish
• Adherence to glues common to the pen trade
• Strength

StanBrown

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

I hope someone tries them. I would be curious to know the outcome when they are turned. With aluminum chips and threads, will they turn smoothly? Will they damage the tools? Also, will the finish be satisfactory?

magpens

Yet Another Source for Tools, Materials Useful for Pen Turners

Thanks, Tony. . Interesting to know about this source.

Just for information, the Raffir blanks have been available at ExoticBlanks.com for some time.

Another, somewhat similar source that specializes in guitar making, is www.stewmac.com

I have bought some tools from them that I find very useful for making pens. . They also sell some gorgeous materials.

jttheclockman

Thanks, Tony. . Interesting to know about this source.

Just for information, the Raffir blanks have been available at ExoticBlanks.com for some time.

Another, somewhat similar source that specializes in guitar making, is www.stewmac.com

I have bought some tools from them that I find very useful for making pens. . They also sell some gorgeous materials.

I use to buy my picguard material from them. They too have quality stuff.

TonyL

You are all welcome. I remember after posting that Ed sellls the Raffir. I would love to know how opaque the material is. I always reverse paint, but I don't want to see the rifling marks left by the drill bit. I found another guy who sells ivory, but he can only ship within GA. None of these guys are inexpensive. Stewmac sells nice stuff too as JT said.

TonyL

Tony, Very interesting link. You are always contributing and helping us move
forward and improve.

Very nice of you to say. The folks here have always been super kind and patient with me. Many have been to my home. I love this group. Thank you for the compliment. Now, back to work. I have another 4.5 years (59.5, I am done!).

JUICEDSS

I just placed an order for the imitation ivory and the black pen blanks.

We will see...

This is the blackest of the black phenolics available in today's marketplace. It has been formulated for artisan applications where the following properties are required:

• Blackness
• Machinability
• Ability to take a finish
• Adherence to glues common to the pen trade
• Strength

"Once sanded and finished this material is jet black with no visible grain or patterning"

I do not agree. I can clearly see a pattern in the material. (Hard to see in the picture) It reminds me of fine carbon fiber. I actually like the pattern.

I sanded this piece starting with 320 to 12000 micro mesh and buffed on the wheel. I don't believe sanding is the issue.

At any rate, i do like the final result.

Attachments

• IMG_1478.jpg
    IMG_1478.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1479.jpg
    IMG_1479.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 111

JUICEDSS

This picture shows it better. BTW, it is 20 degrees in Buffalo and I am outside taking pen pictures. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_1483.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 137

magpens

Nice work on that Carbara pen !!

Do you know how well that material takes to being threaded (both external and internal) ?

JUICEDSS

Butch
The pattern is linen embedded in the phenolic. The linen adds strength otherwise the phenolic is brittle. I worked for a gear motor company that used linen phenolic for gears.

Tony
Thanks for the link.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
I understand That but they say there will be no pattern.

I am not complaining, just pointing out that if you want something without a pattern you have to look elsewhere.

jttheclockman

Butch
The pattern is linen embedded in the phenolic. The linen adds strength otherwise the phenolic is brittle. I worked for a gear motor company that used linen phenolic for gears.

Tony
Thanks for the link.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
I understand That but they say there will be no pattern.

I am not complaining, just pointing out that if you want something without a pattern you have to look elsewhere.

Black acrylic will be pure black and no pattern.

Top Bottom