Interesting Sierra "twist"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mudder

I was putting together a Sierra pen tonight and noticed that it had a double twist mechanism. Don't recall seeing that before, anyone else seen it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Scott, do you think they may have put the wrong tranny in the assembly at the plant?

I can only think so. Of all the Sierra's I have done only one was a double twist.

TheHeretic

Its possible that it is from another kit somewhere. Not sure about the sierra's but I do know that the Atlas pens and a several others do have the double twist.

Dean
Columbus OH

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Hastur
<br />Sounds like a one of a kind [:)], just like the upside down plane stamp!

So then it should be worth a bundle, Right?

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />The questions is....will it work?

Works just like a double twist.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Scott,
Is that "one of a kind" Sierra for the Pen in the Hat?[:p][:p][:D]

It's made of Kingwood. If you want it I'll send it to you. I'm wrestling with a few idea's for you. I have a beautiful piece of cherry burl that would look really nice on an Oxford kit. Also have a georgeous piece of amboyna burl that I thought of making some kind of closed end pen with. Saw a cigar kit posted recently that had the centerband omitted and thought about omitting the clip and making a closed end might be interesting but I need to overcome one detail (how to work the mechenism). But, then again I have a bit of antler left and some perfect fit kits. Hmmmm, BB sent a nice piece of desert ironwood eith my last order. Then again, I have lots of nice acrylics........... I'd better shut up and get to it.

Ron Mc

Scott,
After reading the replies to your post I decided to take a close look at the twist mechanisms of the Sierra kit and a twist mechanism of a cigar. Very similar. You can remove the Sierra's actually twist mechanism from the threaded part fairly easily. Now if I can get the extra band of metal off of the cigar mechanism and insert it into the threaded end of the Sierra mechanism. TADA a double twist Sierra.[;)]

gerryr

Since Ron just duplicated it, in a Pickled Sierra no doubt, make whatever you like. It sounds like you have too many options.[:p]

Randy_

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />.....the Sierra kit and a twist mechanism of a cigar. Very similar. You can remove the Sierra's actually twist mechanism from the threaded part fairly easily. Now if I can get the extra band of metal off of the cigar mechanism and insert it into the threaded end of the Sierra mechanism. TADA a double twist Sierra.[;)]

Ron: If you pass that cigar twisty to Don at the next meeting of Bubbasville, he can put it in his Beall collet chuck and turn off the excess brass without breaking a sweat!! Too lazy to get my good vernier from the shop; but according to the cheapo at my computer, you only need to turn off about 10/1000". I looked at my Cigar Pen twisty and it looks to be somewhat shorter than the one in the Sierra. I don't think that will be a real problem; but you will have to seat the cigar twisty not quite so deep to attain the same overall length.

Afterthought, maybe you could contact Don and have him bring his Beall chuck to the meeting, unless, of course, you already have one??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom