Interesting concept

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

I sold (mostly) computers at Circuit City for several years. Left for a bit and went back and sold Cell Phones. I was very good, but I did notice on major thing, I actually tracked it for a few months. I would wear contacts for a week straight then the next week I would wear glasses. I sold a significant amount more when I work glasses than when I wore my contacts. I noticed when I wore glasses people seemed to "believe" me more, or they seemed to trust my opinion more. Another thing I witnessed was one of the guys who worked in the department was African American, and a huge percent of customers would get info from him, and wait until he was gone and ask me the same question (and it seemed it was common for all races to do that).

So do you believe perceived appearances have as much of an effect on sales doing pen shows as what I saw when I was selling computers. I honestly believe it is a huge factor. I would say 60% of people that walk up to a table deep down know they will not buy an item from someone at a craft fair just by seeing them. It has nothing to do if they really like what you have, or cost or anything other than, this person isn't really a craftsman.

What are your thoughts?

What brought this up is a buddys daughter likes trying to seem "goth." And she will share something on facebook like, tattoos and piercings do not effect my ability to do a job. I try to explain to her about the real world that it may not effect your ability to do a job, but it will effect your ability to GET A JOB.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

This was about 20 years ago, but. I was in a video rental store once and the young lady that was working there told a friend of hers (a guy) who was going to be interviewed for a job there the next day to cover his tattoos and he would have a better chance.
Me personally, I have kind of gotten used to the tattoos and the piercings, but, there is always a but :eek:, I think that the piercings depending on where they are can affect their chances of a job depending on the job. Nose rings are a little disconcerting when I am order a taco. :biggrin:

indytruks138

I think looking like an expert in whatever field makes you more credible. No doubt. What an expert looks like in pen making for craft shows is up for debate. I will say more attractive sales people make more money in most sales jobs, its not fair but its truth.
I also know from personal experience if you have a lot of tattoos you should be willing to cover them to get/keep a job. I have sleeves and I have no issue covering them if needed for my career. I don't like that people judge based on them, but it was my decision to get them and as an adult I knew it meant I'd likely have to always wear long sleeves on professional settings. Luckily I've been able to climb the corporate ladder and show my tattoos over the last decade with my current company.

lyonsacc

Outward appearance definitely (unfortunately) will affect your ability to get a job, or "serve/please" certain people/customers/bosses.

As a balding white guy I am perceived, at work, to be a knowledgeable accountant. I doubt I would be perceived as a knowledgeable beautician or tattoo artist or a lot of other things with how I look and the clothes I wear.

My wife and I are both CPA's with our own business. Anyone that really knows us is aware that she is the smart one. If something is very technical or complicated or unusual she either handles it or it at least is run past her. We have 10 to 15 clients that still, after talking with her, will ask me the same question.

I have a long time friend. He was in my wedding. Met his (1st) wife at our weeding. We are now in our 50's. Brilliant guy, multiple degrees. Was never able to get the job he was educated and qualified for. 2 reasons why (this is my opinion): 1) It takes a little while to get to know him, so he doesn't do well in a 45 minute interview, and 2) 30 years ago he did not look like someone who would have that type of career (and I am not going into detail about that). I think, if he was a 20 something now, he would most likely be able to have that career.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The observations that you made are what "marketing" use to target different groups of people. And that is OK within certain tight knit circles, but discussed in public - it brings about stark criticism of prejudices.

There are characteristics of ages, of different ethnicities, of localized groups of people, and different socio-economic groups that ring true in general, yet specific enough to influence the way marketing works.

In Japan, Japanese have a term "Yappari Nihonjin" loosely translated means "we Japanese" . . . Not "I or me" but "us". And they are proud of that term. However, when used in used among ethnicities here in the US, you will get trounced for using it with your ethnicity, unless you ARE Japanese.

I am an observer. I don't do it intentionally, but I just seem to notice little habits that people do. When I would go to Tokyo Disney Land, after a couple of hours, I would sit on a bench and watch people go by. Of course 90% of the people would be Japanese but the other 10% would be a mixture of Koreans, Taiwanese, Chinese, Americans, Canadians, Brits, Aussies and New Zelanders.

Occasional one of my daughters would sit with me. (All 3 daughters went to international schools). They learned the habits of different internationals too. We could tell by the way that different ones walked, or the color of their clothes, or the mannerisms where they were from. We could usually distinguish other Asians from Japanese simply from this. My girls were better at distinguishing Caucasions by their country than I was unless I heard them speak. I could tell by the accent and word usage, but they could tell by their demeanor and minute' customs because they were around them all day.

What one learns from observations is fun!

My last job with a petroleum company it was encouraged that if you had tattoo's they should be covered. My father always told me that if, when I was in the Navy, I got a tattoo I should make sure a short sleeved shirt would cover it. I have two tattoo's and both can be covered with a short sleeved shirt.
I did see a lady in an airport one time that had a butterfly tattoo'd on her face, her whole face. Kinda freaked me out a bit, but it was her face.

WriteON

I try to explain to her about the real world that it may not effect your ability to do a job, but it will effect your ability to GET A JOB.
Well said. I was in dental. Self employed dental tech. When a person applied for a job I looked for the one that could produce, good work ethics and so on. However the clean cut one got the first shot. They got the attention. Today as I meet people or hire them (home improvement contractors or whatever)regardless of their appearance they have a few minutes to make a good impression. How they speak, conduct themselves, etc.
If I could rewind my life I'd like to teach shop. Teach young people to use their skills for their livelihood. To dress appropriately, show up on time, introduce themselves with a smile and act professionally, be sincere, be an adult. As the saying goes...you do not get a second chance to make a 1st impression. We get judged by how we work. Work defines us. And appearance is everything.

Last edited:

Talltim

I trained people in door to door sales for almost 20 years. I can tell you appearance does make a difference. Little things matter.

What amazes me though is the lack of customer service people give in their own businesses. I have have often been treated like I as a customer was a bother for wanting to buy something.

The reality is most of the time they need me more than I need them. I find somewhere else to shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

MartinPens

I'm an extrovert and always meet new people and start up conversations when I go into San Francisco. I grew a beard - people were very hesitant to get into conversations with me. It was very noticeable. I shaved it off - it's back to how it used to be now. I liked the beard but it doesn't work for me socially. Maybe it's just the Bay area. I imagine it might not be the same up in Portland where most everyone has a beard.

Top Bottom