Installing Plugs In Ringmaster Bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

After a few requests for this on the Ringmaster Lathe Turning board in my own WWF site on how I plug the holes I decided to make a little video this afternoon.
Nice to share ideas and get replies from others with their own methods because we all learn something from each persons version of doing certain things .

Here is the link to the video

Installing Plugs In Ringmaster Bowls - YouTube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Good video Bill !! When I was using my ringmaster, I would take the scraps and cut plugs and dowels out of then, and keep them in jars. Jim S

plantman

Good video Bill !! When I was using my ringmaster, I would take the scraps and cut plugs and dowels out of then, and keep them in jars. Jim S

What did you use for cutting dowels ?

Bill; I have antique dowel cutting machines, wooden thread cutters, and taps for cutting wooden threads. The dowel and rod turning machine is a Stanley # 77 Made from 1911- 1969 and comes with 9 interchangeable cutter heads from 1/4" - 3/4". By inserting a square piece of stock the appropriate size to the cutter head you are going to use, and turning the handle, the machine trims away the square corners and makes the round dowel. I have others that are called Widgets. These will turn a tapered or straight tenon like you would use on the ends of a chair spindel. The plug cutters are the same modern ones you have. You can still buy modern taps and dies for wood, and a dowel maker is nothing more than a wooden block with holes drilled in it and a small plane iron set askew at the proper angle. Today I would just turn the dowels on my micro metal lathe. Comes in handy when you are restoring antique tools that were hand made to no particular size and need parts replaced !!! Jim S

Last edited:

W.Y.

What did you use for cutting dowels ?

Bill; I have antique dowel cutting machines, wooden thread cutters, and taps for cutting wooden threads. The dowel and rod turning machine is a Stanley # 77 Made from 1911- 1969 and comes with 9 interchangeable cutter heads from 1/4" - 3/4" By inserting a square piece of stock the appropriate size to the cutter head you are going to use, and turning the handle, the machine trims away the square corners and makes the round dowel. I have others that are called Widgets. These will turn a tapered or straight tenon like you would use on the ends of a chair spindel. The plug cutters are the same modern ones you have. You can still buy modern taps and dies for wood, and a dowel maker is nothing more than a wooden block with holes drilled in it and a small plane iron set askew at the proper angle. Today I would just turn the dowels on my micro metal lathe. Comes in handy when you are restoring antique tools that were hand made to no particular size and need parts replaced !!! Jim S

Thanks Jim for that very informative reply.

Top Bottom