Inspired by Bob Wemm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
After seeing the wooden bottles that Bob Wemm made from old fence posts, I decided to give it a try.

Nowhere near as nice as Bob's, but this was made from an old cedar post that was used in a fence that I helped my dad build over 50 years ago, so it has a special meaning.

There is a hole in the bottle, but my drill bits are only about 5" long, so it doesn't go very deep. I need to get a set of 8" bits.

Thanks for the tips, Bob. I learned a lot while turning this thing & I'll definitely be making more of them.

Attachments

• Bottle1a.jpg
    Bottle1a.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 271
  • Bottle2a.jpg
    Bottle2a.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 328
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Edgar; Just goes to show that you can teach an old post new tricks. Look for old timber auger drills to make your holes bigger/deeper if need be. Jim S

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I didn't do any hollowing on the lathe - I just drilled a 1/2" dia hole about 5" deep after I finished turning - just big enough so my wife can use it as a bud vase.

bobleibo

Edgar
Those are very cool. Both you and Bob have now inspired me (and I am sure others) to give this a try.
Thanks
Bob
P.S.
Woodcraft sells drill bit extensions that might work before buying a complete set of longer bits. Sure saves money.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks Bob - I'll check on these WC bit extensions on Monday.

Terry, a beer tap is a great idea! I need to make one of those for my brother - doubt if he would care for a bud vase. I might also make him a bottle opener from one - that would make a neat gift set.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I love this project! Now I need to scour the countryside for old fence posts...

Your bottles (as well as Bob's) are wonderful. A great way to expand our skills.

Beautiful work. I love the appearance of the bottle.

CREID

edohmann;1828[SIZE="7" said:
[/SIZE]114]I didn't do any hollowing on the lathe - I just drilled a 1/2" dia hole about 5" deep after I finished turning - just big enough so my wife can use it as a bud vase.

Funny you should say Budweiser vase. It does look like a beer bottle.

Bob Wemm

After seeing the wooden bottles that Bob Wemm made from old fence posts, I decided to give it a try.

Nowhere near as nice as Bob's, but this was made from an old cedar post that was used in a fence that I helped my dad build over 50 years ago, so it has a special meaning.

There is a hole in the bottle, but my drill bits are only about 5" long, so it doesn't go very deep. I need to get a set of 8" bits.

Thanks for the tips, Bob. I learned a lot while turning this thing & I'll definitely be making more of them.

You are too kind Edgar, I think your bottle is every bit as good as mine.
That Cedar timber is exquisite, I love the grain.

Great job buddy.

And the family history makes it super special.

Bob.:)

robutacion

What a great way to showcase a chunk of wood with lots of character...!

What I mean is, is surprising how simple a design can be, to transform a chunk of wood into something very neat and beautiful.

I recall to see, many years ago, a bloke that was doing these sort of bottles, and use then for a wood collection. There many way people collect wood pieces but, bottles like this would be a great job to do with as many wood species as possible, if you have the space to display them all...!

Great job...!

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Hey! I really like that idea, George. I have at least 40 species of trees & shrubs on my farms and my goal is to make something from each one. I've made a good start on pens, but they don't show off enough of the wood. I have plenty of room for a bottle collection in my shop & shed. :)

Bob Wemm

Hey! I really like that idea, George. I have at least 40 species of trees & shrubs on my farms and my goal is to make something from each one. I've made a good start on pens, but they don't show off enough of the wood. I have plenty of room for a bottle collection in my shop & shed. :)

Way to go Edgar.

Bob:)

Sataro

Now if you happened to be a beer drinker, you could try sampling 40 different bottles of beer. Make a wood bottle matching each bottle that you sampled. Of course, I wouldn't recommend sampling all 40 bottles in one setting!

CREID

Now if you happened to be a beer drinker, you could try sampling 40 different bottles of beer. Make a wood bottle matching each bottle that you sampled. Of course, I wouldn't recommend sampling all 40 bottles in one setting!

Would that be a bad thing.:rolleyes:

LouCee

Terry, a beer tap is a great idea! I need to make one of those for my brother - doubt if he would care for a bud vase. I might also make him a bottle opener from one - that would make a neat gift set.

I like both ideas, the beer tap handle and the bottle opener. The current issue of Wood magazine (issue 238 March 2016) has an article on making a bottle shaped handle for a bottle opener.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

I like both ideas, the beer tap handle and the bottle opener. The current issue of Wood magazine (issue 238 March 2016) has an article on making a bottle shaped handle for a bottle opener.

Thanks - I'll check that out!

Top Bottom