Inquiry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

H2O

When I proposed an idea of people sending myself two pen kits, and I making one to return to the kit sender, the question was asked (I believe by Skiprat), why would a pen maker want a pen made for them?

I have seen the post about this PITH swap and read about it.
Isn't this essentially the same thing as my proposal, with the exception of both parties receiving a pen?

Just thinking out loud.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Similar but not the same. In the Pith each entrant produces a unique product within the guidelines of the Pith and sends it to a different Person. Sometimes its a direct exchange between members and sometimes you pass your pen to a different member than you receive one from.
In your case you make a pen in return for compensation of the additional pen kit. YOur offer does little for people who want and like to make pens.

H2O

No, not the same at all, this just looks like a way to get free pen kits.

Just thinking out loud.

The point was...

You, the pen maker, are still getting a pen made for you, in either case.
Who would want that? Apparently a lot of people judging by the list.

I suppose, in a pessimistic mind, I would get a free kit. In reality, it's my time and blank to make something in return for the free kit.
So, based on the prices I have seen people on here sell pens for, you would be getting a free pen.

D.Oliver

No, not the same at all, this just looks like a way to get free pen kits.

Just thinking out loud.

The point was...

You, the pen maker, are still getting a pen made for you, in either case.
Who would want that? Apparently a lot of people judging by the list.

I suppose, in a pessimistic mind, I would get a free kit. In reality, it's my time and blank to make something in return for the free kit.
So, based on the prices I have seen people on here sell pens for, you would be getting a free pen.

If the reason people are signing up for the PITH is to get a pen, you would be correct. However I suspect people are signing up more for the opportunity or experience of making a pen within the parameters of the theme and the also for the camaraderie that comes from a large group experience.

Last edited:

wyone

The PITH is a wonderful way to be creative and share ideas and different processes with someone else who loves pens as much as you do. The only expectation I have when I join is that I get to be creative and test my ideas and share. A bonus is I get a pen in return from someone who has similar expectations. I do say so far I have always received something that far exceeded my skills and think the other person got the bad end of the deal. But then I thought, they were all most likely in a similar level of skills and maybe they will remember that or even better offer me suggestions about how to improve my skills. The sharing nature of the PITH is to benefit both parties equally in different ways if that makes sense. :)

Top Bottom