Inquiry re: format

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Just curious - as I prepare my letters, phone calls, and contact lists:

Are we doing the same format for the Bash this year, with sponsored contests, and naming rights on contests and drawings, on a structured tier level.

If so, can we start thinking about the pricing structure, and the required prize donations?

I'd like to have this information cemented and well-in-hand before I begin canvassing, to give me the best opportunity to bring about more donations and sponsorships.

So this is a friendly reminder that we need to begin getting the basic structure ready, so I can start looking in a few weeks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
And you would need to know if we are adding or dropping any contests this year that would effect sponsered prizes.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Everything will be basically the same. I will do my best to have something posted by the end of next week that sheds some light on store for the Bash.

mbroberg

The attached Word document gives a list and general description of the contests for the Bash. We can make additions or deletions. This is not chiseled in stone. It should be sufficient to get the ball rolling.

I suggest that we offer all Tier I and Tier II contests open for sponsorship. I'll need some feedback because I'm not going to offer the sponsorships without everyone's, or almost everyone's input. Don't be shy, tell me what you think.

Thanks much!

Attachments

• 2014 Birthday Bash Events.doc
    42 KB · Views: 136

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If at all possible I would like to NOT have the Youth contests vendor sponsored but all prizes donated by individuals. We have a lot of members that like to support our younger members and turners. I believe Andrew can make a direct request of the membership for prizes just for the youth contests and they will respond. Or I can.

mbroberg

If vendors are willing, why don't we offer any contest, irrespective of tier, up for sponsorship?

I don't care. My thought was to get the most "Expensive" contests covered. We did have sponsors for the Photo Contests and Wood ID contest last year. I don't see any great advantage or disadvantage either way. If you see any advantages or disadvantages, please share. I'm sure you had a reason for asking the question but you didn't state what that reason was.

mbroberg

If at all possible I would like to NOT have the Youth contests vendor sponsored but all prizes donated by individuals. We have a lot of members that like to support our younger members and turners. I believe Andrew can make a direct request of the membership for prizes just for the youth contests and they will respond. Or I can.

I'm sure it is possible. We decide what will be offered for sponsorship. The flip side of this would be that many vendors like to support our younger members and turners. Vendors may offer better prizes than individuals. Why do you believe that it would be more advantageous to award prizes from individuals than from vendors?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I should clarify I have no problem with vendors donating prizes to the youth contests prize pool but not as a full sponsorship of the youth contests. For one I dont believe our youth contests should be commercialized that way.

mbroberg

For one I dont believe our youth contests should be commercialized that way.

Mike,

The Bash is for the members. The members told me last year that they are overwhelmingly in favor of vendor sponsorship (click here). As I said last year, I am putting a lot of weight on how the members want the Bash run.

I do not feel comfortable making an exception for one group of contests for the sole reason that someone doesn't want to do it. What I am asking is why you don't believe our youth contests should be commercialized that way? What is the disadvantage of sponsorship? If it is bad for one contest then why is it OK for others? Is having the youth contests vendor sponsored going to harm participation or have an adverse impact on the entries. I respect you opinion, I just want to know the reasoning behind it. I'm not inclined to go against what I believe the member's wishes to be based on an opinion, regardless of how much I respect that opinion, without having some definitive basis for the opinion.

Others......feel free to chime in.

mbroberg

Andrew,

Here is the text of last years announcement which contains all the requirements. I would just tweek it for posting this year.

I've thought about your suggestion of offering all contests for sponsorship. We'll do that and see how it goes.

Attachments

• ATTENTION IAP VENDORS_v5.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 90

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have struggled with clarifying why I think the youth and for that matter any other contest should not be open to sponsership. One, I think that sponsorship for the main tier contests etc. are good because they give a level or reward that is constant and appropriate through the years. This to me encourages participation in the contests.
But I also think there is a difference in an Adult contest and a youth contest. I suppose it comes down to the fact I dont like subjecting our youth to the advertising. The "Budwieser Open Youth Beautiful Pen Contest" doesnt sit well. ( its only an example).
I believe the interests of the members can be served by both having contests that are allowed sponsership and contests that dont.
Although your poll is conclusive for the results on the question asked would a poll on whether or not a specific contest for specific reasons have different results?

mbroberg

Mike, I guess that this a classic case of having to agree to disagree.

Upper tier contests have higher value prizes. The youth contests fall into Tier II. We could change it to a lower tier but I believe that the contest best fits the criteria of a Tier II contest. We have set the level of reward for contests falling within that tier. If that level of reward encourages participation of adults it stands to reason that it would also encourage participation of youth. In my mind the best effort of a youth is of equal value to the best effort of an adult.

I don't believe that the type of advertising that occurs on the IAP is harmful to youth. The Budweiser example is a real stretch because we all know that the vendors who would be sponsoring the contests are vendors of products or services related to pen making, not alcohol or any other product that could be deemed harmful to youth.

I don't know if a question to the membership specifically asking whether they like the youth contests sponsored or not would yield a different answer. All I can say for certain is that at the conclusion of last year's Bash the vast majority of the members who cared enough to cast a vote on the issue said that they liked contest sponsorship.

The Bash is for the members and the members have provided us with some direction. If a contest lends itself to sponsorship if should be offered for sponsorship. The only contests that don't lend themselves to sponsorship are daily or sporadic contests.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'd be happy to sponsor one contest that we could call the WTF contest---just for grins and giggles.

This is a serious offer, for a very light-hearted approach to some contest if it appeals to the board and or membership.

(WTF is, of course, Woodturners Finish and we have enough of it to make 3 prizes, very easily)

mbroberg

I'd be happy to sponsor one contest that we could call the WTF contest---just for grins and giggles.

This is a serious offer, for a very light-hearted approach to some contest if it appeals to the board and or membership.

(WTF is, of course, Woodturners Finish and we have enough of it to make 3 prizes, very easily)

A contest with no goals or directions. :confused: People enter and have no idea what they are supposed to do?:rolleyes::biggrin:

Seriously, personally I'd rather not walk that tightrope of double entendre. Mine is only one opinion.

Top Bottom