input on an idea, please.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrplace

I have an idea and am not sure it will work or not. The company I work for makes a granulated sugar based drink mix. It is kind of a course mix and colorful. What I am thinking of doing is trying to cast this powder in resin.

I am thinking about mixing a small amount with a quickset epoxy and forming it around the tube. Then clear cast the tubes.

The other way was throwing a handful of the powder in the resin and pouring it like a regular blank. This may not work if the ingredients are soluble in the resin. I could use a fast setting epoxy though.

Ideas, thoughts or comments? I know it is in right field, but this would be a great @$$ [:X] opportunity for the owner of the company.[:I]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

How about:
1) put waxed paper down on the table
2) pour out a nice pile of the sugar mix
3) coat a tube with thick CA
4) roll the tube in the sugar mix to get good coverage

or

3) coat a tube with thick CA
4) fold the ends of the waxed paper up and press the sugar into the CA

then...
5) once CA cures, seal and fill in any gaps with a few coats of thin CA
6) cast in epoxy or PR

elody21

Just remember that if you cast it in Epoxy it will not polish to a shine and you will have to add a finish if you want it shiny Alice

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I would try JimGo's first suggestion knowing what I have learned from working with CA.
A word of note based on past experiences.
The brass tube will alter the color of the of the sugar.
I powder coated a brass and a nickle casing with a sparkle blue PC.
The brass casing came out a beautiful emerald green, the nickel casin was closer to the original color.
I would wrap the tubes in white paper first.I have never had luck with painting tubes and then using CA on them.
Good luck, it sounds interesting.

chigdon

I was thinking that too. Won't the CA disolve the mix just like water would? How about spray adhesive and let it dry until it is just tacky.

wags54

Interesting idea. Looks like you have some good suggestions to start. Looks like you can just take these idea and try them see if thay work like you wanted. I know for myself sometimes I try the stuff people tell me here and it doesn't work just right but in the process new ideas come to mind and eventually I get it pretty close to what I was wanting. Be a mad hatter and turn your shop into a mad labratory and experiment. I'm sure you'll get something to work.

mrplace

I set some up this weekend in thin ca. I think what I am going to do is to cut a 3/4" piece of pvc 6" long and then make a split down one side about a saw blade width wide or a tad wider. Then seal both ends and and leach thin CA in to the powder like with inlay. I may end up having to do it in layers, and then having to turn the PVC off with the blank. I am still going to give Jimgo's idea a whirl too.

I tried adding powder to the resin, but the color that is part of it is soulable and turned the resin a light translucent yellow. I made a small batch with CA and it set fast enough there was no disolving. I could still taste sugar very slightly after it setup for two hours. So I guess I will have to add a CA finish to create a barrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom