inlay question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alucas

hi fellow pen makers. my mom has just asked me to make her the piano pen inlay kit from rockler. i think I understand how to turn it but it says to avoid sanding to not cross contaminate the different colors rather to run a light skew across is this the only way to do this or are there other tricks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

I've heard that. I guess I have been lucky. Over the years I have made perhaps 100 inlay kits. Including that one. I pretty much use the same sequence for everything. I use regular sandpaper 100 to 320, with a few steps in between. Then I use compressed air get all the dust out of the pores. Many coats of CA. Then micromesh. If it is acrylic I skip the air/CA steps. Lastly, a trip to the buffing wheel may be in order.

You will likely get many recommendations for success.
IMG_2217.JPG

alucas

seems like i rrad that applying ca juat before sanding will cutdown on the bleed but wanted to check with my new pen peeps before i ruin a $25 blank

gbpens

The white keys are made from holly which is extremely porous. Try sealing the keys with thin CA, sand the dark grey body then cleanup with a SHARP skew. The keys have been inserted but not glued. Use thin CA to secure them.

jttheclockman

I say this hundreds of times here. No need to sand wood blanks especially ones with woods that will be cross contaminated if sanded. Need to learn to use the skew. It is the most versatile tool for a lathe. A nice even cut with the skew and right to CA. When applying CA I will use a light coat of thin CA and make one pass to seal the woods. Do not keep rubbing back and forth or it will smear the colors into each other. Has worked for me for many years.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
seems like i rrad that applying ca juat before sanding will cutdown on the bleed but wanted to check with my new pen peeps before i ruin a $25 blank
You read that right. Thin coats of Thin CA throughout the turning/sanding process. Unless you have plenty of time to learn to use the skew.

Top Bottom