Inlay Materials and Inlay Techniques

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Campbell

I know there has likely been a great deal of discussion around inlay materials and techniques. I am finally broaching the subject and recently did some turquoise inlay work on a walnut bowl using the InLace product.

I am not completely pleased with the result. The product was thick and difficult to work with in smaller cracks. Perhaps this is because it was 55 degrees out that day. Perhaps it's my technique and lack of experience. I ended up with large blobs which tended to chip/fly off when I approached it with a tool.

So I'm looking for a source for much nicer turquoise than the product I bought at Packard. Definitely something much more to the blue side, and likely natural instead of man-made.

And I'm interested in techniques people have used. I'm interested in both epoxy and CA and the reading I've done say both work well.

If there are resources on Penturners I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobleibo

Jim
I was in the same boat awhile back. The more people I asked the more confused I got. I found this book at Craft Supply that did a pretty good job explaining the basics which eliminated a lot of the confusion and talked about some techniques. Nothing fancy, just basic info. I think I paid about $12 for it. Certainly there are a lot of resources out there but this worked for me. Craft Supply also carries a lot of different inlace/inlay materials.
Cheers~
Bob

Attachments

• Scan0001.jpg
    Scan0001.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 339

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have done a few (note... few) inlay projects. I used colored sand, coral, etc.and CA glue. I got 3 different sizes of sieves (hole size) like a kitchen strainer, coffee strainer, sink aerator plug, and used those to get fine, medium, course grit sands for different size inlays. Just a suggestion. :)

You can get lots of different colored sands at craft stores( Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc).

With CA, make sure the matrix is dry. DAMHIK.

jttheclockman

I know there has likely been a great deal of discussion around inlay materials and techniques. I am finally broaching the subject and recently did some turquoise inlay work on a walnut bowl using the InLace product.

I am not completely pleased with the result. The product was thick and difficult to work with in smaller cracks. Perhaps this is because it was 55 degrees out that day. Perhaps it's my technique and lack of experience. I ended up with large blobs which tended to chip/fly off when I approached it with a tool.

So I'm looking for a source for much nicer turquoise than the product I bought at Packard. Definitely something much more to the blue side, and likely natural instead of man-made.

And I'm interested in techniques people have used. I'm interested in both epoxy and CA and the reading I've done say both work well.

If there are resources on Penturners I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

There are many forms of inlace. Not sure what you used but check this site out. Good info there. I buy from Turtlefeathers

inlaceonline.com

ldubia

Iuse the turquoise and other stone products from Craftsupply. The is a nice blue with natural stone coloring. It comes in a 1 ounce bag. There are others there too. I use thin CA to set it, then medium to fill in. After you clean it up on the lathe, go back and fill in with more stone and CA. Looks great.

nava1uni

Jim,
We have the Inlace book in the BAWA library. I buy real turquoise in different grits and also some synthetic. i will send you the info tomorrow. I use Epoxy because I have found the CA to cloud overtime. I also use Pearl Ex pigments, fine, fine glitter, wood shaving from a contrasting wood, coffee grounds, coral, malachite, etc. Call me if you want to talk

Edward Cypher

Check out Larry Fox he is the owner of Foxy Woods. He does a lot of turquoise in lay and out lay. He was President of the Colorado Springs Turning Guild, he has a couple video's and does sell turquoise. Is almost always at the Loveland Symposium.

Jim Campbell

Thanks everyone. I will follow-up on the recommendations and leads.

I did check the Inlay Techniques book out of the BAWA club library and have read through it.

I bought a strainer for sifting powders and stones for jewelry (23pc High Qualiity Stone Sieves Set - Pipe Fittings - Amazon.com). 23 strainers in the set and a lot more than I need, but it's compact and easy to store.

I also made the stone crusher out of 2" galvanized pipe with the 1" galvanized pipe insert. Since I have a aggregate driveway, I've crushed a few of the white rocks which have come loose and lay at the side of the driveway.

I am very interested in Foxy Woods and seeing what is available for turquoise.

Thanks again for all of the info.

Top Bottom