inlay design inquiry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

I was looking through the gallery (which has a crazy number of fantastic pens, of course) and wondered how in the world you get this inlay design. Any ideas?
gent-loopz.10259

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Todd, you've flagged one of the 'Masters.'

Steve has an amazing gallery with designs that are 'partially known' from a technique standpoint, but others are less apparent and very intriguing. I won't speculate on his design techniques, as this is for Steve to chat on, but I will say that while I have thoughts on the metal inlays/veneers, his precision within the blank to make the patterns uniform is just magical. When Steve was active (before my IAP participation) there were many designs that were stunning, with less specific information given for others to emulate... I have no problem with the concept of "here it is, figure it out." This is fair game.

For me, I tend to favor sharing whatever I can on technique (most are commonly understood anyway šŸ¤£ ), but for others, they like to hold back and see what is discovered.

So, you have a challenge - how to make your own innovation... A scroll saw, very square blanks, and some very precise jigs will be your friend! Good luck hunting!

sorcerertd

I did catch that he hadn't been seen around these parts in quite a few years now, so I won't expect any instructions. My jig game has a long way to go. I'm not sure I'm even in it yet, really. I'm happy when I get a Celtic knot to look good at this point. That's why I'm here, though; to learn from the masters. :D

jrista

Well, that is a truly impressive inlay...the way it loops around. I know that you get curves when you turn strait lines round, but the way he gets those loops.... I wish I could see more of that pen.

What a master!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I did catch that he hadn't been seen around these parts in quite a few years now, so I won't expect any instructions. My jig game has a long way to go. I'm not sure I'm even in it yet, really. I'm happy when I get a Celtic knot to look good at this point. That's why I'm here, though; to learn from the masters. :D
Well, congrats, you picked a good one. It may be easy to figure out the mechanics/equipment, but the skill is in perfecting the precision. Happy trails.

dogcatcher

Get some cheap 1x1x6 walnut blanks and some maple veneer. On a bandsaw cut a scroll shape through the bank, top to bottom. Now soak a 1" strip of the veneer in hot water to make it more pliable. Once the veneer is easily bendable to the saw cut, clamp the pieces all together and let them dry. I used o let them sit for 2 days, then take them apart and sit for another day. Then glue the 2 parts of the blank back together with the veneer in between. Wait another day for the glue to dry.

Now clean up the blank so that it is back to about square, rotate the blank 90 degrees and repeat the above process. the end result is all 4 sides have a curve, scrolled or whatever design you cut in them.

Some personal preferences, use 2 or more layers of veneer, or as an example, a layer of maple, walnut and another maple. Or when cutting one side, make 2 cuts, so you have 3 pieces, and use 2 veneers. A tricky one, stack a maple and a walnut and cut through both at once. then repeat on the second cut and glue up.

Because of the excessive wait time. I preferred to do 4 or 6 at one time. When first starting this project make the saw cuts different so that you can replicate the ones you like the best. Sometimes simple is better.

DaveTas

I was looking through the gallery (which has a crazy number of fantastic pens, of course) and wondered how in the world you get this inlay design. Any ideas?
gent-loopz.10259
Has anyone worked out the scrollsaw pattern this chap used to make this? I love it but can't picture the pattern he used...

jttheclockman

Dave as mentioned you picked one of the Masters that has passed through these pages. Here is another who worked on the same type designs and you may want to do a search on his work.

Keith ( VisExp )

I will tell you this is done freehand with a scrollsaw. I talked to Keith over the years because I too use a scrollsaw and cutting straight lines and perfect curves becomes rather easy when done alot.

Here is some talk on the subject.
https://www.penturners.org/threads/curve-inlays.43518/#post-814496

Top Bottom