Inlace Acrylester

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JamesC

JamesC

I like the look of the Inlace material but it is a little difficult to work with. It is too brittle to cut a thread. I have been experimenting with different insert materials, and am having the best luck with Ebonite. Acrylic Acetate is ok but I think it gets a little warm and may expand when drilling and threading. This is a rollerball, having trouble getting the JOWO Nibs. Schmidt 888 ceramic roller. Triple start 13mm, removable with 1 1/2 turns. It is postable.
Jim

Attachments

• DSC_1296.JPG
    DSC_1296.JPG
    499.3 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_1297.JPG
    DSC_1297.JPG
    509.3 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_1298.JPG
    DSC_1298.JPG
    446.7 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_1299.JPG
    DSC_1299.JPG
    422.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_1301.JPG
    DSC_1301.JPG
    484.4 KB · Views: 126
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I use acrylic acetate for sleeves in wooden barrels and have not experienced any heat or expansion issues.

Very nice pen. Thanks for sharing.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

JamesC

I use acrylic acetate for sleeves in wooden barrels and have not experienced any heat or expansion issues.

Very nice pen. Thanks for sharing.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
The reason I ask about the acrylic is the section on a rollerball is very narrow at the tip and the Inlace will crack at that location if you don't go very slowly. May just be me but I had to make three until I got it right

Woodchipper

James, rather colorful blank. My complements on the build!
Suggestion: A lighter color for the background to make the pen stand out more.

PatrickR

I like the look of the Inlace material but it is a little difficult to work with. It is too brittle to cut a thread. I have been experimenting with different insert materials, and am having the best luck with Ebonite. Acrylic Acetate is ok but I think it gets a little warm and may expand when drilling and threading. This is a rollerball, having trouble getting the JOWO Nibs. Schmidt 888 ceramic roller. Triple start 13mm, removable with 1 1/2 turns. It is postable.
Jim
I think ebonite is perfect for this use. I have and do use acrylic for sleeves but after this happened (not sure how it happened, guess is it was capped and lateral pressure was applied to the joint) I make sure the sleeve walls are as thick as possible. Acrylic is brittle compared to ebonite and the Japanese is not too pricey. I don't use Japanese for other parts though as the German is superior.
A132AE1E-6CEB-4FE6-928D-11CE3CD8BF31.jpeg
84F1D6DB-B573-4BE6-8E43-E71FFDE49645.jpeg

JamesC

That is exactly the problem I have experienced on there separate occasions. My only explanation is heat related. I epoxy the sleeves in place rather than ca and allow a minimum of 24 hours to cure.

PatrickR

That is exactly the problem I have experienced on there separate occasions. My only explanation is heat related. I epoxy the sleeves in place rather than ca and allow a minimum of 24 hours to cure.
Nothing to do with heat on this one, the pen was complete. Glued in with epoxy. The acrylic broke at the edge of the wood. It was thin there for sure about 1mm. From now on I will shoot for 2mm when forced to use acrylic for this application. Otherwise I like acrylic. Really prefer ebonite for threading.

Top Bottom