Inlace Acrylester 1st try

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vakmere

vakmere

I took a shot and ordered an Inlace Acrylester blank called 'Black Blaze'. Gnarley stuff. I didnt know really what to expect. For me it was 3 hours of turning this thing down to the final shape. I had to be gentle because it was like turning plexiglass. Wet sanding it was getting a paste like build up. In the end I managed not to fracture any of the blank. I noticed white lines running thru the black lines. Looks cool in person, camera phone pix dont do it justice. The white specks are a little dust from the table. Regardless, the experience was,,,,educational.
I also got some tru-stone blanks I'll try next week. Never did that either so here we go. :wink:
I would think matching up certain blanks with the appropriate pen kit would be a good thing so I'll go one step at a time.

As a side note, looking at the pens all of your are posting is inspirational to me as we are all into a very cool and, for some, lucritive craft.

Enjoy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Looks nice. Fit and finish seams good. If I may suggest something, just show the pen your want us to focus on and not all the other one around it as they are detracting from were focus should be.

vakmere

Looks nice. Fit and finish seams good. If I may suggest something, just show the pen your want us to focus on and not all the other one around it as they are detracting from were focus should be.

You're right, a better camera also. In time I'll get the hang of it.

rblakemore

Inlace is tough

I agree that Inlace is really difficult. Very chippy and brittle. My wife and I have had a lot of trouble with it. Here is a picture of a cigar pen in a blue/gold similar inlace named Copper Canyon (form Houston Rockler I think). Lots of trouble turning; came out pretty. But, after a couple of months a chip broke off at the nib at a seam between the colors.

Attachments

• 9T4A6272_compressed.JPG
    9T4A6272_compressed.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 134

vakmere

I agree that Inlace is really difficult. Very chippy and brittle. My wife and I have had a lot of trouble with it. Here is a picture of a cigar pen in a blue/gold similar inlace named Copper Canyon (form Houston Rockler I think). Lots of trouble turning; came out pretty. But, after a couple of months a chip broke off at the nib at a seam between the colors.

I think once was enough for me with this type of material.

Top Bottom