Ink window fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jontello

Jontello

One thing I have been working on is an ink window. I really like how this one turned out. I like it when the ink window is hidden behind the cap but can present some challenges sometimes with having enough material to work with. I think I got it figured out. This pen is fitted with a lacquered black #6 bock nib. Thanks for looking.

EF1BA7A9-8CF0-4771-8D32-37979F82908A.jpeg
8C5E7F6B-24B4-4228-A638-6CA3F04520C1.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

Man, that looks like it was really hard to do! Spectacular work, very inspiring.
Did you convince Mazzuchelli to make you some custom acetate in pen blank size? Love that blank.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Full Disclosure: I do not use fountain pens, and I rarely use the few "gifted" fountain/kitless
"pens I have ( only a few). But - I do admire the craftsmanship that went into each. (I have a "Cracked Ebonite" from a close friend that will never depart).

Jon: As an admirer, but not as a user, I never liked the visable ink wells for Kitless fountain pens. I do suspect that they have some advantages for users, so my comments may be naive and ill-informed.

But, I am very enthused to see this design where the ink-well is reduced visually. (this type of turned pen is not in my experience, but from a simple observer, I like the minimal ink well view point).

Just a thought.

PenHog

@ FGarbrecht

Perhaps you're joking and I'm just missing it, but I think that blank is "Mustard Seed" Erinoid, and I believe Vince at The Turners Workshop (UK) has this material for sale.

FGarbrecht

@ FGarbrecht

Perhaps you're joking and I'm just missing it, but I think that blank is "Mustard Seed" Erinoid, and I believe Vince at The Turners Workshop (UK) has this material for sale.
Yeah, I was kind of joking but I'm always hoping Mazzuchelli would start producing material thick enough (again) for something besides guitar picks! But thanks for the heads up about Turners Workshop, I'm not familiar with them and will check out their selection.

Pierre---

Very well done Jon!
I think I can see the window going over the front part of the colored resin, right? But I cannot see the glue...

Jontello

Full Disclosure: I do not use fountain pens, and I rarely use the few "gifted" fountain/kitless
"pens I have ( only a few). But - I do admire the craftsmanship that went into each. (I have a "Cracked Ebonite" from a close friend that will never depart).

Jon: As an admirer, but not as a user, I never liked the visable ink wells for Kitless fountain pens. I do suspect that they have some advantages for users, so my comments may be naive and ill-informed.

But, I am very enthused to see this design where the ink-well is reduced visually. (this type of turned pen is not in my experience, but from a simple observer, I like the minimal ink well view point).

Just a thought.

The pens definitely do look better without them but it is so much easier not having to unscrew the body when you want to see how much ink you have in the pen or of you are almost out. Thanks for your comment friend.

Jontello

Well, if you're looking for Mazzucchelli, you can find 3 types on that site also (different types from what's available on Exotic Blanks, if I recall correctly).
The material on that site is great! like stated above he has a good amount of vintage stuff on his site! Definitely check it out.

Jontello

Very well done Jon!
I think I can see the window going over the front part of the colored resin, right? But I cannot see the glue...
I made the ink window by making tenons that were threaded on both sides. So it hides everything under the opaque material. here is a better picture of the ink window.

IMG_6756.jpg

magpens

@Jontello

Really great work, Jon !!! . Your precision is very impressive !!

What are the specs for the threads on the end of the ink window, please ? . Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom