Ink Converters

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mongo44

Hello, just wondering if anyone knows where to get ink (piston) converters for Elite 2 and Classic Style fountain pens. I am aware PSI sells some in packs of 5. Does anyone know if Woodcraft or office stores like Staples sell a compatible converter for these types of pens. Thanks for the help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

First, I'm pretty sure that all kit fountain pens use the 'international standard' cartridge and/or converter. There are a number of name-brand (non-kit) fountain pens that use proprietary converters that fit only their pens - you don't want a proprietary converter. Look for 'international standard' converters.

PSI has two grades of converters (both 'international standard'). I have used both, and I recommend only buying the more expensive grade. The cheaper ones work, but they don't last as long.

There are a number of other suppliers of 'international standard' converters, with a wide range of features and prices. The better designs include a small weight (either a ball or spring) that slides inside the converter when you change the orientation of the pen to breaks up the surface tension so that when you point the nib end of the pen down, the ink automatically flows to the nib. Absent a ball or spring, ink can puddle at the other end (especially if you have been carrying the pen in your pocket which generally means in the nib-up orientation). There are also better designs in which the metal shroud at the back end of the converter is threaded and screws onto the body. In cheaper designs, the back end is either a press fit or is glued onto the body. The advantage of having a screw-on shroud is that you can disassemble the converter (without destroying it), and put a little silicone grease on the plunger to produce smoother action and less leaking.

Most good pen shops will carry a selection of converters. I've seen them in Staples, but the stock in the big-box stores can vary considerably from one store to the next.

PaulWitmer

Get the best quality one you can find. I swap the ones out that come with the kits and put only good ones in my pens. It is well worth the little extra that they cost. I get the ones I use from PSI.
Paul

More4dan

I use the Schmidt brand converters. Try them, you will be converted. Sorry, couldn’t resist. Their are several models available. The K5 is the one that fits most pens. The K2 is slightly smaller near the tip and fits those sections too tight for the “standard” sized converter. My new favorite for custom kitless pens is the K6 which has a threaded lower barrel for a very secure connection.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

monophoto

My new favorite for custom kitless pens is the K6 which has a threaded lower barrel for a very secure connection.
Many years ago, I sent my MontBlanc pen to the repair facility in Pennsylvania to be rebuilt (a rather expensive repair that had to be done every 2-3 years - which is why that pen is now in the 'retired' collection and is no longer used). When it came back, it came with a screw-in converter. I thought that this was a neat idea, but at the time it apeared that MontBlanc was the only company that offered it, and only for MontBlanc pens.

So I'm curious - I found the K6 converter in the Schmidt catalog, but I noticed that the threading was not specified. Were you able to determine what threading is needed to mate with this converter, or is this a situation where that converter can only be used with matching Schmidt sections?

Also, it appears from the picture in the catalog that the converter has a friction-slip fit onto a nipple on the section, and the thread is only to secure it so that it doesn't inadvertently come loose due to vibration. Is that a correct assumption?

More4dan

The thread is a M7.5 x 0.75mm. The tap can be found on Amazon and EBay. The tip engages the nib/feed to seal the same as the others but the thread holds the converter tight against nib holder.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom