Initials in cast help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NaptownWood

Hello all!
I have been lurking for a while and stealing all the tips I could find. Aaand, they have helped. Casting blanks is pretty rewarding. I am starting to get commissions from friends. So on this one, she wants her husbands initials on it. I was thinking of painting the tube with some cool fingernail polish, then trying to find some metal letters to bend and apply to the tube, cast in clear alumilite and turn.

Where the heck do I find some small metal letters like that? Any other suggestions that would produce the desired effect? Was planning on using a wall st II kit. I would post some casting successes in the show off room, but all of my pics are 3mb or so, is uploading one of those a no-no?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

Go to Micheals or other craft supply store and see what they have in the scrap book section...you mite be able to find something like that in the jewelry section also...Also they make rub-on's and sticky's probably in the poster section where you would find the poster boards...

Have Fun

NaptownWood

If i could laser cut some stainless, that is exactly what I would do. Haha, thats what I want actually, a shiny stainless, then bent like a watch parts pen and glued on. I wanted to stay away from the decal route, but it may be what i have to do. i tried the craft stores. They have some metal lettering, but way too large. Went to Claires, the kiddos jewelry store in the mall, and they had some charms, but too tall and thick to bend. I was thinking of scroll sawing something out of wood and then take a 10mm drill (or whatever the od of the tube is) and drilling a half hole relief in the back, and then gluing to the tube and casting then turning. It may look too wrapped to look good, but that is where I am at rt now in the thought process. Thanks for the replies so far. I will update with a pic when I get to the bottom of it, but pls keep suggesting anything that comes to mind, even if it involves buying a 5k machine--i always need a wish list for santa claus.

designer

Since money is not a problem.....

Cast your blank and turn it a bit O.S. Buy a CNC Router and engrave teh initials. Fill with the color of choice. Finish turning to size and finish.

Maybe buy a Laser and some Mylar. Cut the letters and cast them together with the tubes?

I wish my budget would allow me the laser.

NaptownWood

Money may not be a problem for santa claus, but it is for me. I would love metal, but i am afraid that at 1/2", the letters would wrap around the tube too much to be aesthetically pleasing. I am not sure, some of those watch faces curve around quite a bit and still look good.

designer

A 10mm diameter has a circumference of about 1.237 inches
A 3/8 diameter has a circumference of about 1.178 inches
A 7mm diameter has a circumference of about .866 inches

Maybe look for letters that are about 1/4 to a 1/3 of the circumference. See if you can take a tube with you for a visual comparison of the letter height for an idea. Your right, you don't want the initials to wrap around the whole tube. It just would not show or look right.

On a 3/8 tube maybe a 5/16 or 1/4 inch letter.

Just my opinion. Others with more experience may give you better input.

Mr Vic

Find the letterr size you want in a stick on medium...Hobby Lobby. You can also purchase small aluminum sheets there. Apply the letters as a cutting guide and use a scroll saw or coping saw with a metal blade to cut out. If you need to go thicker wrap a tube from the kit you plan to use with sandpaper and sand the back of the leters to shape...Glue or solder to tube and cast away...If you want a wood pen have it laser cut to allow the letters to be inlayed...

Top Bottom