Initial lathe cleaning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turn81

I'm new the whole "brand new tool" thing and got my new lathe in. Does anyone have any suggestions for the initial cleaning to get the grease gone? What products/methods work best.

661991ad95f3b1c73c5a8deb3bd2091b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

I'm old school and use Varsol, Shellsol type solvents in the Stodard solvent family. I like them because they leave a slight oil film that helps reduce rust. If I need to totally degrease it, painting for example, I'll clean again with Acetone. Others will advocaite WD-40 or water based cleaners.

pinkivory19

I too just received my 70-220vsr. still unboxed, but was wondering how to best,and safely remove any shrink wrap oils, and/or packing
adhesives. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska (but I am still an old South Dakota boy at heart). - I usually clean new tools with Denatured Alcohol to remove everything and then apply whatever oil, wax, or other protectant that is appropriate for the tool or part of the tool. - Dave

SteveG

Good suggestions above. Here is what NOT to do. Strong solvents like lacquer thinner will work fast to get the grease coating gone, but comes with flammability and need to use carbon respirator. AND, it will remove the pretty lacquer paint job from your new lathe!

pinkivory19

Do I understand correctly that Denatured Alcohol and Menthylated Spirits are the same formulation ? Also, from all of the above responses, and recommendations, (and I thank you all) is there any that would work best without damage to any parts? I have a habit of not getting the desired effect on cleaning things carefully. I WILL be using a paste wax after cleaning.(carnuba) ? If I may ask about one more thing, why did they stop making the Morse taper cleaner, the Taper-Mate ? I need size #2. Again, Thanks so much to all

Sincerely, ~ Tim

pinkivory19

Thank so much, Curly. I have been searching fo the Taper Mate by name, and found a few, but not in the #2 size. I just placed my order for two!
thanks to you.

pinkivory19

I don't think I would want to use brass, or any type of metal here as i wouldn't want to scratch the taper barrel.

Curly

A brass brush designed to clean gun bores is not going to do any damage to a morse taper bore. Maybe after thousands of cleanings but what do you do that needs cleaning with more than a rag, solvent for regular cleaning and an occasional wipe with the plastic cleaner?

pinkivory19

I guess I never thought that through enough. makes more sense, now. My thanks to both monophoto, and Curly.

~ Tim

Top Bottom