Information about Fordite needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

Anyone know of a good (and reasonable) site for Fordite ? I really like how it looks. I've seen a few online sites have it but VERY expensive. Second, I've never drilled and turned it before. I would think it is fragile. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pssherman

Automotive Fordite is a byproduct of the painting process using sprayed enamel(?) paints. Since the automotive industry has switched to powder-coat paints, Fordite is no longer being produced and is getting harder to find. I make shop-made fordite using powder-coat paints that are epoxy-based and baked at 400F. It is hard but not too brittle, I have made 3 pens from it and didn't have any problems with drilling or turning them. It is made of 50-70 layers of paint and a block of 7 blanks takes all day to make since each layer must be heated and flowed out before the next layer can be applied.

woodwzrd

Reasonable pricing depends largely on your definition of the term. While Fordite is getting more scarce it is still widely available if you are willing to pay for it. I have a little bit of a fordite stash and would be willing to sell a few more pieces.

As far as workability, yes it can be brittle and you really have to pay attention to it as you are working it. I drill slow and give it plenty of time to cool. For working it down, many people tend to only sand it. I like to insert my bushings into the tubes and round it off on the belt sander then work it down with a sharp carbide and very light cuts. I watch for the layers to start chipping then flood it with thin CA to to try to avoid delamination on the layer lines. Typically if you have a failure it will come apart or flake on a layer line. Most people that turn Fordite have a love hate relationship with with it. It can be miserable and frustrating to work with but the reward far out weighs the frustration.

BULLWINKLE

It's a beautiful material. I'm just not certain I want to go to the trouble after reading y'all's posts. Sounds very time consuming. Thanks for the information.

Last edited:

Darios

I watch for the layers to start chipping then flood it with thin CA to to try to avoid delamination on the layer lines. Typically if you have a failure it will come apart or flake on a layer line.
And that was a detail that I was looking for. Do you finish with an overall CA coat?

Top Bottom