INFERIOR CASTING. STAY AWAY

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

Some time ago I bought some circuit board blanks from a vendor who will remain unnamed. I finally got around to turning the purple ones last week, with disastrous results. These blanks are cast in a very brittle and unforgiving poly resin, are a bear to turn, being very prone to a blow out. I don't know who casted these, however, the vendor suspects they were casted in China. The picture shows an unturned blank with the inferior casting, a completed bank that cracked on pressing (thick end), and a completed pen just to show it can be done. My recommendation is to stay away from these. If you do decide to turn one of these I recommend the following:
a. Square the blank using a disk sander. Do not use a barrel trimmer.
b sand off the corners using a disk or belt sander. Turning a square blank invites a blowout.
c. Turn one blank at a time, using TBC bushings or a mandrel saver.
d. Turn as fast as you can, using a negative rake carbide with a fresh edge.
e. Use an extremely light touch when turning. Plan on taking twice as long to turn as an acrylic or rhino plastic blank.
f. Stop turning when 1/16 inch or more proud of the bushings. Wet sand the rest of the way.
g. Ream out the barrels until your components slip fit, and then use loctite to secure.
h. Keep in mind turning these are not fun.
As background I have been turning pens for over 12 years and have made and sold over 30 circuit board pens.
IMG_0061.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darios

Can confirm all of the above, at least with my one and only attempt with these.

tgsponge1

I think I must have got some of the same batch of blanks. I was only able to make 2 out of the 6 I purchased. They were not very forgiving even with Negative Rake fresh carbide cutters. They almost seemed like they did not cure properly, and were extremely brittle.

jttheclockman

Now if you do not identify the vendor how do we know which ones to stay away from. There are many vendors who sell these type blanks. I know you probably feel reluctant to identify but you are also trying to do the right thing and warn us all. The problem I have seen through the many years of doing this hobby is that I believe people have found it is more lucrative to sell blanks than it is to make and sell pens and this is fact. With that said as buyers we have no idea what materials are being used to cast such blanks and the quality till will actually purchase and at times this can be misfortunate. Some vendors and not all will have a good return or replacement policy. Buy from from reputable vendors is something we should strive for but as I said with the addition of so many blank sellers these days those lines are getting more and more cloudy. I say you out the name here. or at least if they are selling through a third party vendor then mention that portion. Otherwise this is a a post with not much value. Just an opinion.

jcm71

in response to John and Don, all I'll say is that the blanks are not the 3D blanks sold by several vendors but circuit board decals wrapped and then cast. If the product picture on a vendor's web site looks like the one I posted above, LTBB.

JohnU

I think you'll find that those square circuit boards blanks have been sold by many of the vendor out there, at one time or another. They've been around for ever, produced in China at Main Molds if I remember correctly. I turned a lot of them years ago but as the years passed they seemed to get more brittle. I don't know if they were produced that way or just subjected to high temps in transit here. I think they are cast in polyresin, Which would explain their brittleness. I've had great luck, in the past, recasting them in Silmar 41 polyester resin after blowouts, if the foil image isn't damaged.

calabrese55

I think I must have got some of the same batch of blanks. I was only able to make 2 out of the 6 I purchased. They were not very forgiving even with Negative Rake fresh carbide cutters. They almost seemed like they did not cure properly, and were extremely brittle.
Let me tap dance on a land mine here. This is a forum of like focused and like skilled individuals who for what ever reason think pen making is fun and potentially profitable. If there are poor quality products out there and the evidence is substantial it is not a disservice to factually report to this community. This can accomplish a couple of things first save members time and $$$$$$ . Second can influence the source or the middle men in the supply chain to divert from offering an inferior product. Think about this AMAZON does this a million times every day with their 5 star and reporting of rating comments. Ebay does the same with their seller information and positive feed back values.
To post about a bad product and leave only a guessing game as to the source just seems like a fire alarm with no location available for the fire.
calabrese55

hewunch

Let me tap dance on a land mine here. This is a forum of like focused and like skilled individuals who for what ever reason think pen making is fun and potentially profitable. If there are poor quality products out there and the evidence is substantial it is not a disservice to factually report to this community. This can accomplish a couple of things first save members time and $$$$$$ . Second can influence the source or the middle men in the supply chain to divert from offering an inferior product. Think about this AMAZON does this a million times every day with their 5 star and reporting of rating comments. Ebay does the same with their seller information and positive feed back values.
To post about a bad product and leave only a guessing game as to the source just seems like a fire alarm with no location available for the fire.
calabrese55
Exactly! I recently honestly reviewed some kits that were also poor quality. I had one thank you and I had one "did you call the company". Which makes me think twice about honestly reviewing something like that in the future.

calabrese55

Exactly! I recently honestly reviewed some kits that were also poor quality. I had one thank you and I had one "did you call the company". Which makes me think twice about honestly reviewing something like that in the future.
I really don't understand the general idea of calling the company. I have and I have not called the company depending on the issue. Most would say you have to give the company an opportunity to fix the issue. I agree when one part is missing or broke or just not right. However in the case of the original post it is not one item but a series of items that were more than a little off. Additionally and very possibly based on other posters here it may not be an isolated case.
I recently had a technical question with a very well known supplier here. The tech guy was very helpful and after all was done with my inquiry I took opportunity to mention a series of that companies products I purchased that I had to modify to get acceptable results. He asked me when I purchased the items and I told him.......the reply was surprising. It went like this OH! that was a batch from some time ago those issues are all gone now.
I was shocked you mean the company identified a batch issue sold the product and never advised their customers who bought that product in that time frame. Remember a company called Ford Motors who had a serious issue with a car called the Pinto .............!

One last thought, we give the suppliers of the stuff we buy every chance to get it right WHEN WE FIRST BUY THEIR PRODUCTS WITH OUR $$$$$. If you see something say something it doesn't have to be an angary rant stick to facts call it like you see it without adding any color or heat. we are all in the same boat lets try to row in the same direction
calabrese55

cmiller

I had decent luck with these circuit pens from PSI. But they were very brittle. I helped myself by taking them to the band saw first, so the blanks that went on the lathe were already round. Not to pile on, but I also found the title of this post funny: Stay Away! But I won't tell you from who šŸ˜„

Attachments

• IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 44

bzahn

If people are reluctant to publicly name vendors who sell these or other poor quality blanks, perhaps people could name vendors who sell good quality blanks of the same kind. I realize that some may name the same vendor's problem blanks, but a consensus might appear as to who has the best ones.
Just a thought.

Top Bottom