inexpensive parting tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

With apologies to Nils. I'm not really trying to rain on his promotion parade but I do like saving money on tools. The parting tools on the market range from about $20.00 to $40.00, some higher. I made mine from an ordinary table (butter) knife. These are generally good steel, I have made other tools from them in the past. The one pictured is what I use for narrow parting. It required about one minute on the grinding wheel, with frequent dips in water, and another minute on the sharpening wheel. It serves (pun intended [:eek:)] ) the need quite well at aproximately zero expense. And it has a built on handle to boot.

200510516406_knife%20parting%20tool.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

Great Idea Frank. I also use a hack saw. Works real well. I will often start a slot or groove with the Crown too, and insert the hack saw with the lathe spinning.

Fangar

Ron Mc

Frank,
Now that's a tool I need for the shop! Not only can I use it in the shop I can run out back to check the steaks on the grill as well! Plan on running any specials soon? The price seems a tad bit high.

Good Idea Frank!

I've made two parting tools from (used) saw-zall (sp) blades. One is 1/16" thick and the other is 1/32" thick. Both are about 1" tall.

I think the handles I made for them would qualify for the worlds ugliest handles made for a tool.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I did the same thing and love it.
For parting when I use the Bealle chuck(I do have one expensive tool) I use a coping saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom