Incorporating Veneer in Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

donstephan

Are older thicknessess of commercial veneer, 1/'32" or 1/16" a good or bad thickness for incorporating in pen blanks, perhaps by cutting a blank on the bias and inserting a thickness of veneer, or 3 thicknesses of contrasting veneer? A few days ago I was given a few pieces of veneer, some of which are much thicker than the commercial veneer I have purchased in the past for tabletops and such.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bats

I think it depends entirely on the segmenting. I'd be reluctant to try something as thick as 1/16" in an application where it had to bend a lot, like one of these:
PXL_20210726_003227131-1920.jpg

...but it's perfectly fine (and some would say better than the thin stuff) for straight/angled segments like celtic knots. Using a piece of the thick veneer bracketed by pieces of thinner modern veneer in a contrasting wood could also work well.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Are older thicknessess of commercial veneer, 1/'32" or 1/16" a good or bad thickness for incorporating in pen blanks, perhaps by cutting a blank on the bias and inserting a thickness of veneer, or 3 thicknesses of contrasting veneer? A few days ago I was given a few pieces of veneer, some of which are much thicker than the commercial veneer I have purchased in the past for tabletops and such.
I use 1/32" often. (I purchased from B & B Rare Woods).

I agree with 'bats' that the 1/16" may be testy to bend; but it would look fine for simply rings. The 3 ply would look very nice simply on an angle, but a straight inlay.

In the photo below, the 4 white rings are 1/32".

2B8A3D9E-5A99-486C-9A03-81B70EFF795C_1_201_a.jpeg

Top Bottom