In house competition - cast fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Well this is interesting. I got my wife started into resin a couple of years ago and have created a resin monster. While it has some issues as her first one produced she cast a resin fountain pen. Just cast. 4 part molds, 2 piece top, 2 piece bottom. Over coated with UV resin.

8064326C-77F0-4EB6-B303-4E0BF948218A.jpeg

The mold came with the section, a converter and the no-name nib. She can buy the parts at 4 sets for $12.

I find it both fascinating and terrifying at the same time. Fortunately she has recently expressed an interest in learning to turn, so we can get her quality up from here. But the idea of someone being able to crank out a "handcrafted" fountain pen for about $6 is another watering down of the market to me.

Proud of her effort and ingenuity, but need to get her end product up. If she decides she wants to sell these in her booth this year, I will pull all of my pens out. I can just see that conversation, now.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mike... At the next display, you're pens are toast! ;)

These casts are awesome. Very nice, I wish the very small spotted speckles extended throughout the blank, but no complaints. Maybe 100% spread at the end; 75% spread at middle; 50% at the upper end.. You get my thought. Very well done. Enjoy the household debates. (I still owe you for the recommendation for my smoker! I Like Mesquite)

Penchant 4

The varied dispersion of elements within the resin gives it great movement and character...quite artistic rather than mechanistic. Great work!

MRDucks2

Mark - Thanks for the feedback. She said the glitter was almost an afterthought on this one so she will see what happens in the future. She is working on a faceted version now.

Bill - Thanks for the comments. Jennifer has the ability to do some cool stuff with resin that is not even on my radar. There are some things I want to attempt, the difference being she works almost exclusively with slower setting epoxies, which contributes to some of the effects she can achieve.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Looking again, the blank reminds me of some of the Urishi finishes that have been posted. And that is saying a lot, as those take some real time commitment and patience. Very nice.

Top Bottom