Importing larger amount of pen blanks question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I've received small packages of pen blanks from different countries before with no issues at all

I'm considering an order of 100 wood blanks from Ireland

Does anybody have any experience with larger orders coming in? Is there any reason US Customs would have an issue with this kind of package coming to me (home address not business)?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have ordered a hundred olive wood blanks at a time from Jerusalem Israel without any issues. You should be fine. If you are getting a bunch of Bog Oak and have a few extra to sell let me know.

Mike

Not sure about pen blanks, but after spending three years in England back in '87, I wanted to bring back some antique furniture. I was told US Customs required a certificate for wood worm treatment. Getting the furniture treated was no problem and the certificate was a joke itself, but you never really know. Check the US Customs web site, they might just have an answer for you!

robutacion

I've received small packages of pen blanks from different countries before with no issues at all

Does anybody have any experience with larger orders coming in? Is there any reason US Customs would have an issue with this kind of package coming to me (home address not business)?

Thanks

One of the big issue with importing/exporting wood, is how the wood is presented. Bigger quantities can ring some bells but 100 pen blanks is far from being "big quantities".

A parcel with 100 of those blanks should weigh about 6kg or under, depending of how dry (MC%) they have, it can be as low as 4kg total weight so, that's nothing alarming about it for USA Customs.

I have sent 20kg (max. allowed) packages of wood to the USA and Canada, without any problems however, and this is when things can turn ugly, if the wood is unprocessed, has bark attached, and any borer holes (or signs of it), they can very easily condemn the whole package, even if only 1 piece has the problem, the whole package is "tagged" as contaminate and either, will require fumigation/treatment at the cost of Seller or Buyer or simply destroyed by Customs...!

The word "clean wood" is most important when sending wood overseas, even if the wood in not fully processed such as un-barked log or slab, the wood needs to be free of soil and or any other foreign materials, doesn't always have to be waxed/sealed however, this can provided to extra points to the Customs approval.

Pen blanks as such, should be clearly marked as such, I like to use the "Wood (acrylic or both) Pen turning blanks", that is a well known subject by Customs and they know these sort of blanks are presented clean/uncontaminated...!

Good luck with them...!

PS: I may even ask you to swap 4 or 5 blanks with something else you like from my site of the pond...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Dan Masshardt

One of the big issue with importing/exporting wood, is how the wood is presented. Bigger quantities can ring some bells but 100 pen blanks is far from being "big quantities". A parcel with 100 of those blanks should weigh about 6kg or under, depending of how dry (MC%) they have, it can be as low as 4kg total weight so, that's nothing alarming about it for USA Customs. I have sent 20kg (max. allowed) packages of wood to the USA and Canada, without any problems however, and this is when things can turn ugly, if the wood is unprocessed, has bark attached, and any borer holes (or signs of it), they can very easily condemn the whole package, even if only 1 piece has the problem, the whole package is "tagged" as contaminate and either, will require fumigation/treatment at the cost of Seller or Buyer or simply destroyed by Customs...! The word "clean wood" is most important when sending wood overseas, even if the wood in not fully processed such as un-barked log or slab, the wood needs to be free of soil and or any other foreign materials, doesn't always have to be waxed/sealed however, this can provided to extra points to the Customs approval. Pen blanks as such, should be clearly marked as such, I like to use the "Wood (acrylic or both) Pen turning blanks", that is a well known subject by Customs and they know these sort of blanks are presented clean/uncontaminated...! Good luck with them...! PS: I may even ask you to swap 4 or 5 blanks with something else you like from my site of the pond...!:wink::biggrin: Cheers George

Thanks George That is good info

Thanks

It will all depend on the invoice value of the package and since you are dealing with a vegetable product, if the phytosanitary certificate meets the USDA(U.S. Dept. of Agriculturue) requirements... it's likely that your package would fall under the minimum value for clearance... i.e., low enough that it won't be considered a commercial shipment and require a broker, and if it arrives by mail, with the low value, it will likely automatically clear and deliver with no problems... it's been a while since I dealt with USDA and the phyto certificates, but I'm pretty sure Ireland will not fall into their no-no list.

Top Bottom