I'm trying to get new members involved

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
A total of 355 members have joined IAP since Dec 1. Today I sent each of these folks a personal invitation to participate in BASH along with a link to the Beginner's Guide to Bash that I recently posted.

Tomorrow I will send invitations to a number of members who have joined between Jan-Nov. A total of 360 people who joined in that timeframe have posted at least 1 but less than 10 times. Another 126 have posted 10 or more times. I plan to send slightly differently worded messages to those two groups.

At any rate, I hope these efforts will encourage more of our new members to participate this year. Please let me know if you have any other ideas that we can try.

Thanks
Edgar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobleibo

Edgar
I remember when I joined. I lurked in the shadows for over a year before I jumped in all because I was intimidated by the more experienced folks. I also know I was a bit afraid to ask a question for the same reason. Having you be the newbie advocate sure is nice. I'd say anything you can do to alleviate their apprehension of being the new kid on the block is great. How about "Spotlighting" a few new members each month? Or maybe they can flow newbie questions thru you and you can post them without a name for everyone to see. If they see the response they get from experienced member for a question they thought was "dumb", they might feel a little more comfortable. I know it sure would have helped me get off the launching pad quicker.
Just my 2 cents....
Bob

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks Bob, great ideas.

I already send our new members a welcoming message & offer to directly answer their questions if they are reluctant to make public posts. I generally get a few questions each month, but I like your suggestion of offering to post some of their questions publicly so they can sit back and see a broader range of responses.

I like your spotlighting idea too - I'll give some thought to starting something like that after BASH.

stonepecker

With Edgar here I have seen more and more new people in the forums.
They may not be as new as they say they are, just new to the IAP

Edgar, you are doing a great job. Please remind them also of the kids contests during Bash time.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks Wayne & thanks for the reminder about the kid's contests - I'll be sure to mention them.

Top Bottom