I'm so glad I live in Phoenix

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

And much cheaper to run. Unfortunately, right now, in the middle of our monsoon, the humidity is too high and we have to run the AC for a few weeks every year. I have a two stage, so it works up to a 70 degree dew point, but not when the temp is above 110, which it has been for almost 50 days this summer. I reallly miss it. I have sjogrens syndrome so my eyes are very dry and the evap helps a LOT by increasing the humidity inside the house. The AC on the other hand, dries the air, which makes my eyes worse.

I've lived in Houston, Tucson, San Francisco Bay area, Los Angeles area, and now East Tennessee... my favorite area was Tucson... never minded the heat..... as Mark Twain once said, coldest winter I remember was Summer in San Francisco.
We left Houston the week that Hurricane Rita hit and was sitting with all our worldly possessions packed and stacked in the garage waiting for the moving truck... water came up our driveway to within 4 feet of the garage door.
I was living in Sunnyvale, CA when an earthquake hit in Hollister some 20 or 30 miles away... it wasn't a severe quake, but it shook the building I was working in and shut down a $100,000 communications system... Management had us evacuate the building as it was brand new and they were not certain of it stability.
The worst weather we get his a little rain and occasional snow in winter.... Never want to move back to the coast.

sbwertz

I was in Hollister once for a big quake. I was asleep, and my bed started walking across the room! I lived in Santa Cruz, but had close friends in Hollister. Hollister sits smack dab on top of the San Andreas fault. I was up on the Giant Dipper (wooden roller coaster) at the Santa Cruz pier. There was a quake, but with the wild things the roller coaster was doing, we couldn't even feel it. We wondered why all the people waiting to get on for the next ride were sitting down hanging on to the railings....

sbwertz

The only reason the evap mod I have on my system (which is no longer available...they guy who invented it died.) gives me about 20 degrees below ambient up to a 70 degree dew point (Instead of 55 degrees without it.) When the temp hits 110, that isn't enough drop in temperature. It will take it down to the high 80s, but that is too warm, so we run the AC.

When the humidity is low and the dew point is down below 55 it will lower the temp almost 30 degrees. Early in the year, I had it running and forgot to turn it down when we went to bed and the house was 68 when we woke up!

sbwertz

We are having an incredibly hot summer. 48 days over 110...expect to break 50 on Friday. Previous record was 33 days. Staying inside. Turning off the whole house AC at night and running a window AC in the bedroom to try to keep our electric bill from going through the roof. Only time I go out is to the mailbox LOL. it was 106 when I went to get the mail at 10pm last night.

pshrynk

Minnesota has tornadoes and straight line winds in the summer, ass deep snows in the winter, flash floods in the spring and tourists in the fall. Just a little slice of heaven.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
With the heat & humidity in the Houston area, AC is a 24/7/365 necessity,

My wife also has Sjogren's Syndrome. I know what you're dealing with. Best wishes.

We are having an incredibly hot summer. 48 days over 110...expect to break 50 on Friday. Previous record was 33 days. Staying inside. Turning off the whole house AC at night and running a window AC in the bedroom to try to keep our electric bill from going through the roof. Only time I go out is to the mailbox LOL. it was 106 when I went to get the mail at 10pm last night.
When we moved into our new apartment in Tucson in June of '94 the temperature read 106... we actually thought it was cool compared to the 90+ with 90+ humidity in Houston.... my wife's son helped us move and stayed a week with us in Tucson, then went back to Houston...
3 days later he called and wanted to know if he could move out with us.... he said "It's like breathing under water here"....

We stayed just over 14 months, then I was offered job back in Houston at a salary more than the two of was making in Tucson... an offer I couldn't refuse. We stayed another 10 years before I retired and moved to Tennessee. It's been pretty warm here this summer... temps in high 80's and mid 90's for a couple of months.

With the heat & humidity in the Houston area, AC is a 24/7/365 necessity,

My wife also has Sjogren's Syndrome. I know what you're dealing with. Best wishes.

Edgar, did you guys get much from the hurricane... as I remember Alvin is pretty close to the bay and just across the bay from Beaumont where I saw that the outer edge of Laura hit Orange and that area.....
I have a close friend that lives in Alvin... worked with her at my last job. She and her husband are retired and as I understand he's not doing real well with his health.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Edgar, did you guys get much from the hurricane... as I remember Alvin is pretty close to the bay and just across the bay from Beaumont where I saw that the outer edge of Laura hit Orange and that area.....
I have a close friend that lives in Alvin... worked with her at my last job. She and her husband are retired and as I understand he's not doing real well with his health.
If it wasn't for the news reports,I'd say what storm. No rain and just a few wind gusts of less than 20mph here in Pearland.
{I'm not Edgar but I live just a few miles from him).

If it wasn't for the news reports,I'd say what storm. No rain and just a few wind gusts of less than 20mph here in Pearland.
{I'm not Edgar but I live just a few miles from him).
That's a good thing. From the news pictures up here it looked to be a pretty horrific storm and I wasn't sure how far west it was hitting.... It's been about 15 years since I lived in Houston (I left right after Rita) and I didn't travel down your way very often. I have a step nephew that lives in Seabrook and did a couple of shows down that way. My sister in law lives in Conroe... she said she lost power but otherwise was okay... her son lives in The Woodlands... haven't heard from him, but if Linda is okay and in contact with my wife she would have said if he was in any danger.
Glad all is well for you and Edgar. Haven't heard from my friend that lives in Alvin, but she has family in Waco so may have gone up there.

sbwertz

When we moved into our new apartment in Tucson in June of '94 the temperature read 106... we actually thought it was cool compared to the 90+ with 90+ humidity in Houston.... my wife's son helped us move and stayed a week with us in Tucson, then went back to Houston...
3 days later he called and wanted to know if he could move out with us.... he said "It's like breathing under water here"....

We stayed just over 14 months, then I was offered job back in Houston at a salary more than the two of was making in Tucson... an offer I couldn't refuse. We stayed another 10 years before I retired and moved to Tennessee. It's been pretty warm here this summer... temps in high 80's and mid 90's for a couple of months.
I have cousins in Austin. But I think the worst I've ever seen was Galveston in August. I thought I would drown every time I took a breath.

sbwertz

Day 50 over 110 this year! But we are going to have a balmy 91 on Sunday!

My old stomping grounds in CA are going up in flames. (Santa Cruz High class of 61). The fire is over 80,000 acres and a little over 20 percent contained last time I looked. An amazing picture of the Santa Cruz boardwalk

scfire.jpg

sbwertz

Coverage here

I used to live in both Ben Lomond and Santa Cruz. I'm not sure when that pic was taken, someone else sent it to me.

Both Ben Lomond and Felton have both been evacuated because they are completely surrounded by the fire. Apparently they have set a backfire in that area to further protect both towns. Over 750 structures burned so far, more than 500 of those single family homes, in this fire that stretches almost the whole way from SF bay to Monterey bay. I know they were starting to open up the UC Santa Cruz campus again.

More coverage:

Last edited:

sbwertz

WOOOHOOO!!! It rained last night and I woke up to 75 degrees! Of course it will be back up over a hundred in a few days, but really nice to open up the house and let it air out.

Top Bottom