I'm now a grandfather of TEN!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

Our daugther who was expecting twins had to be hospitilized this morning due to premature labor (she wasn't due until the first part of October). They tried to slow her labor (they had already tried to stop it on Monday) and gave the boys a steroid injection to help their lungs develop faster. They needed about 72 hours for this to really work well but only got about 12. Due to the risk of her water breaking they had to take the boys tonight. LOML flew from San Antonio to Houston this afternoon so she is there with our daughter.

Mom and boys are okay for now, but the doc said that they usually do well for the first hour. Then it's a coin toss. The boys are breathing on their own with a tube in their noses. Eric Robert (1 lb 14 oz) and Benjamin Noah (2 lb 14 oz) were born at 9:55 and 9:57 CDT respectively. These little guys stand in need of our prayers and all are appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Congratulations to you and the family! They each weigh 1 ounce more than my brother and sister did when they were born. It just takes time for their bodies to catch up. We sure have them and the family in our prayers.

alamocdc

Thanks again for the prayers, everyone. So far everything is still okay with the twins. Eric (the small one) is fighting harder and doing better than his brother, Ben. Both are breathing on their own, but only Eric (last I heard) was no longer on the ventilator. According to the docs (who said the honeymoon is over), they are now at the one step forward, two steps back is expected phase. We haven't seen that yet and hope not to, but we're ready. Here is a photo of Eric with his mom's hand over him. Their heads are covered to shield their eyes from the lights that are on them to help with the jaundice.

2006731171043_Eric_Liz_7_29_06.jpg
<br />

Dario

Billy,

Thanks for the update...I love to see Eric (as tiny as he is) holding his mom back, it actually gave me goose bumps.

GBusardo

My daughter was born 3.2 she lost a few ounces before she started packing on the weight. She was home in three weeks at 4 lbs. Everything has been fine ever since. Have faith!!! You will probably never find a more dedicated, hard working group of people than is working around the clock to make sure the twins will be ok. God bless them!!!
Gary

alamocdc

Dario, I have a similar photo of Ben holding one of Norma's fingers in each hand. I almost tear up just thinking about it. Part of me wants to jump on a plane and fly to Houston, but I couldn't do anything there that I'm not doing here. I just hate being so #&*% far from home![:(!]

Dario

Be strong buddy, we are all pulling for them and you guys.

I know it must be very tough to be away. As mentioned, just have faith. [^]

myname1960

My stepdaughter from my wifes 1st marriage was 2 months early and weighed just over 2 lbs at birth. She ended up staying in the hospital maybe a month my wife said but she's a rip roaring 15 yr old now.

By the way my mom and dad are the grandparents of 28 at the last count so you have a few to catch up to :) Two of my siblings haven't had kids either. That doesn't count the 5 others that are great grandkids.

Seriously i hope they continue to improve and you are able to have they safe and sound at home. Take care.

alamocdc

They are doing okay, Dario. Thanks for asking! They are both now off the ventilator, but are on something called a C-PAP to make sure they get enough O2. Eric is up to 2 lbs and Ben is holding at 2 lbs 11 oz. Both are doing well on mom's milk (via feeding tube) and she has now gotten to hold each of them. Norma brought home (today) more pictures, but they are just too heartbreaking for me to share. They just look so... I guess bleak is the word I'd use. I almost cried. Thanks to everyone for their prayers! And please keep 'em coming. These little ones aren't out of the woods just yet.

alamocdc

Small steps, Eileen, small steps. They are both getting stronger little by little and they've been gaining weight. Ben is up to 3 lbs and Eric is at about 2 1/2 lbs. Ben is now completely off the C-PAP and on a nasal canula (silicone nose piece), but Eric still struggles with the NC too much and starts to lose weight because he's working too hard trying to breathe. Both are still doing well on mom's milk and the volume is increased as they can take it.

Thanks so much to all of you for your prayers!

leehljp

Member Liaison
I missed the original post on this as I was traveling. I will add them to our prayers. I have twin grandsons, now 3 years old, born 7 weeks pre-mature and weighed in at mid 2 pounds each to my 100 lb daughter. One had the cord wrapped around its neck and they caught it just in time and did an emergency C-section. The boys struggled but are doing fine now - and are all boy!

Glad to hear the progression even if in small steps. I will pray that they continue progressing to full health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom