I'm looking for advise.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Allen

Dale Allen

I made an entertainment center like this with a few variations and cannot decide on the placement of the door knobs.
This is the picture from the plans and the upper image is what was recommended. I Photoshop edited it to see what the knobs would look like if they were placed in the middle. May I ask what you would do or prefer?
Thank you.

Attachments

• ent_ctr.jpg
    ent_ctr.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 247
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

The nobs are high because they are thinking you will be standing and down low will be harder to reach.

Personally, I think in the middle looks better.

But it really is your taste. Do what you think is best.

More4dan

With the small glass area on your doors, make sure the sensors for the electronics can see your remote. You don't want to have doors open all the time. You'd never see the knobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Charlie_W

Dale,
In looking at your pics, both options are well placed. With the knobs near the top, they are in line with where a raised panel would start its flat area and is visually pleasing.
As a former Kitchen cabinet maker, I used to present near the top to customers as an option. Some folks went for the center of the door height while others chose to put the knob centered in the very corner(not my favorite).
In your instance, my preference for the knobs is centered in the height of the door. The knobs being near the top, to me, conflict with the curvature of your top stiles. Placing knobs in the middle allow the eye to follow the curvature without interruption by the knobs.
Hope this helps!

Gary Beasley

If your catches are at the top of the frame there will be less twisting torque applied to the door pulling on a knob attached near the top. Same situation if the catches are midpoint and knob mounted midpoint. It can have an effect on the life of a thin door and lightweight hinges.

Dale Allen

Wow, thank you all for your opinions and insight. I'm humbled by the many responses.
Charlie's comment about conflicting with the top rail is well put, thank you.
I'm going with the middle for 2 reasons. More choices by my fans and because of the hinges. Gary's comments about the catches got me to thinking. Since the hinges are spring loaded euro type, a pull at the top would tend to twist the frame each time the door was opened. A knob in the middle evens out the stress.
Thanks again all. When I get all the pieces put back together I'll take a picture of the final result.

Charlie_W

Wow, thank you all for your opinions and insight. I'm humbled by the many responses.
Charlie's comment about conflicting with the top rail is well put, thank you.
I'm going with the middle for 2 reasons. More choices by my fans and because of the hinges. Gary's comments about the catches got me to thinking. Since the hinges are spring loaded euro type, a pull at the top would tend to twist the frame each time the door was opened. A knob in the middle evens out the stress.
Thanks again all. When I get all the pieces put back together I'll take a picture of the final result.

I know in asking for advise you normally get a number of preferences or opinions which is what I also gave you.....but I like to include my reasoning/thoughts as to how I arrived at my preference. I think it helps in many cases.

BTW: Super job on the cabinet!

Dale Allen

Thanks Charlie.
The picture is from the plans I downloaded. I have not yet taken a picture of my effort, but it will be just as good.

Dale Allen

Well, here's my version. I used quarter sawn veneer on the drawer inserts and end panels. That stained darker than the hardwood, but too late to change it. The top is 4 boards of Qtr sawn red oak. A lot of the internal walls and shelves are 3/4 BB plywood. What looks like 3 drawers on each side is actually a single pullout with DVD racks and a storage area. I used acrylic bronze for the doors. I'm hoping the remotes will work through it.

Attachments

• ent_ctr.jpg
    ent_ctr.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 192

Charlie_W

Yes, very nicely done!

On a side note regarding remotes, on our set up, which is now years old, we just simply could not get one remote to operate he fios box, tv, and sound system. Multiple calls to their tech supports resulted in buying more cables but still nothing.....still needed one remote for fios/tv and one for the sound system.
Well, gesss what.......infrared technology (fios/tv) and radio controlled (RC) cannot play together.....totally different technologies.. once we understood that, we were resolved to using two remotes. All in one remotes still didn't support combining these technologies.

So, your infrared remotes may not work through the doors. You may need to add an infrared eye that can see your remote.
For us, our RC remote does not need to be pointed at the unit...and will work from the kitchen.

Technology is our friend!?!? Good Luck!

Top Bottom