I'm looking for a recommendation for sleeve material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bryguy

I have been making my kitless pen sleeves from aluminum because it threads well. I'd rather work with a plastic because drilling Al is such a pain. Any recommendations for an inexpensive plastic that takes threads well? The key here is inexpensive, ideally available in black.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

I don't have much experience doing this but see that most use Delrin. I don't particularly like it though. I'll need to check the other types suggested. I would think that Acrylic would be a good choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bryguy

I've tried delrin and can't glue it to anything! I use it for bushings. I'm looking for something that cost about the same, or less than $6.00/foot. Am I being unrealistic? Can I get Acrylic acetate in bulk lengths?

jalbert

Plain black acrylic acetate. I use it almost exclusively. Check woodpenpro or beartooth. They offer acrylics in longer lengths.

alternatively, Delvies has black acrylic, but I've found it to be more difficult to work, and it does not stay completely opaque when turned thin

Last edited:

drise

Try Bear Tooth Woods. They're website shows a black AA called coal mine. Says they can custom cut it up to 23 inches.

magpens

Drilling Aluminum doesn't have to be a pain ..... I drill on the lathe, taking it slow, and with lubricant.

duncsuss

I've had success using black acrylic acetate (Exotic Blanks), and black ebonite (Exotic Blanks and Vermont Freehand)

I only use acetal (Delrin) to make holders and little jigs, e.g. a threaded holder I can screw a section into for shaping/polishing. I don't like the feel of it, I guess it would be ok to line something provided it didn't see daylight.

Bryguy

I found what I needed cheap, and threads nicely from China. Penkitsmall on Etsy, costing 2.29 for each 5" 3/4 x 3/4 blank with shipping.

Top Bottom