I'm Home, Tired and Sore

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
LOML and I arrived home today shortly after 4 PM. It was questionable all day long - as another front was bringing black ice in on top of 4" to 6" of snow from earlier this week. The temp was down to near 0° F. a couple of days.

We had two friends come 50 miles to drive us home. Our hybrid vehicle had been in hospital garage for 8 cold days and I was concerned that it might need boosting off. It didn't. However LOML was not confident enough to drive me home with black ice in spots. So the two men came and one drove LOML's SUV.

Everything turned out well concerning the logistics!

AS to the surgery and healing, I was let go a day early because I met several criteria. Although my chest was cut open and I was sore, I managed to walk much better and quicker that expected. Except for the two large vessels on the heart being closed too tightly for a stint, I was in very good physical condition. But, I feel like I hurt worse than both the Cowboys and Philly after their game last week! However, I was overall physically in great shape. For that reason they were impressed with this 77 year old's physical ability and walk.

I was given a strong talking to: "You are in excellent physical condition but don't let that go to your head and start doing things that do not fit with the outlines in this book." I will make appointments for PT next Monday. Most every PT office was closed today and will be closed tomorrow (Friday) due to black ice, and Ice/snowey roads.

I am not taking this heart warning lightly. Going to rest through next week and then start the Physical Therapy.

THANK YOU all - SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT, PRAYERS, ENCOURAGEMENT, AND WELL WISHES! This is truly a great forum! Thank you Jeff!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Glad to hear you are doing so well. May you be fine as frog hair very soon. 🐸
Take it easy though, and follow directions. 😂

jttheclockman

Good to hear Hank. Glad things have gone well enough for you to take the next step a little quicker than expected. Take it easy and listen to the doctors. Time will help in your recovery. keep posting here.

duncsuss

Glad you're out of the hospital, Hank - those places are full of sick people, never know what you might catch there.

Wishing you continued smooth recovery - D.

Woodchipper

That is good news. Glad everything is going well for you.
While coordinating your home location and the weather conditions...Welcome to the Sunny South!

leehljp

Member Liaison
SO THIS is what a cracked open chest feels like. Dang it! I know what a severe flu feels like in which it hurts so much to cough that you just hold it in - instead of coughing any phlegm. It Hurts, and I can fell every millimeter of the cut. The chest cut and lungs feel like they are 1 unit.
Even holding a soft teddy bear or heart pillow is met with a "I don't want to do this" - until it finally gives way to a small series of coughs.

To be reasonably healthy has its blessings. But keeping that in mind while enduring the pain is excruciating. While I do have pain pills, I have never been on to latch onto anything more than a prescription dosage of Ibuprofen. Suddenly it becomes a necessity. I just hope I do not become addicted to those pain pills. When asked about this before by my doctors (for different reasons) I always replied: "Doc, I like my mind! I don't like anything messing with it." However, I understand the pains now.

Thank you all for letting me rant.

derekdd

I'm glad the procedure was successful and you're back home to recover.

I wish you luck with the PT, and be careful on the ice! I took a hard fall a couple of weeks ago. I can't imagine what that would do to someone who has recently been through your surgery.

anthonyd

I had a quintuple bypass at age 56 and am still going strong six years later. Just bear through the first couple weeks.You will be surprised by how fast you will heal and get back to your old self and activities. Best wishes!

Bill Sampson

Review of your recent experience brought back memories of how I felt 23 years ago. I will tell you that the healing process begins with a quality rehab program. Each day when I "wired up" I knew that the following day would be better. It was!
At 83, I continue to eat "heart healthy", maintain an appropriate weight, and stay in good physical condition'
My prayer each day is "give me strength for today, I'll deal with tomorrow, tomorrow".
Every heart patient heals on a different time schedule , just realize you will get better!!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome home - it's great to have loving family & friends who are there when we need them most. Best wishes & prayers for a continued successful recovery.

Top Bottom