I'm gonna say it...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

I'm jealous of you guys (and gals) with air conditioned shops!! I was out there tonight, and my lathe was hot--not warm--to the touch. And I'm in Maryland where we're not even getting the worst of it.

On an unrelated note: Quick PSA--double check the drill sizes of your kits before you start drilling. I meant to grab two mistral roller balls. Grabbed a mistral ballpoint instead. I should have noticed but I didn't. Drilled roller ball sized holes in a blank cut for the ballpoint. Thankfully, I figured it out before drilling both halves, so I've only got one half of a blank that's ruined, and I should be able to salvage it and use it for a different kit.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

It was horrible here in Nebraska today. It has been starting out in the high 70's with 100% humidity in the morning and heating up to about 100 during the day. Right now at 10PM it is still 82 degrees with 97 percent humidity (the dew point is 81 degrees). The AC has even been having a hard time keeping up with the humidity in the house. Yes, I am really blessed to have a climate controlled workshop. - Dave

Darios

I'm surviving off of the 'cooling' effect the air filter and the shop vac are providing.

Kenny Durrant

Hot here as well. I work in the garage that has a steel door that faces West. Most of the time it's cooler outside in the sun than in my garage. I have an upright fan that does a great job of blowing the hot air around. I figure the sence of a breeze is better than just hot. I park the car in the garage overnight but once I drive it I keep it outside. I figured I didn't need it generating more heat. The bad thing about that is if I have to leave during the day the car is hotter than the garage. So!!!! With all that I'll agree I'm a bit jealous as well.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I grew up helping out in the farm shop when not in school or doing sports to get out of farm work! We had big and powerful fans. Hot air at fast speeds is cooler than sweltering heat. I continued to be used to fairly powerful fans in a shop situation until I moved to Nagoya/Toyota City from Osaka and put in an AC unit in my 9 x 12. I stayed in that small shop more for the 7 years there than I did any other shop in twice that many years.

An AC in the shop (and heat in the winter) makes it enjoyable. Large powerful fans don't compare!

bsshog40

No working in my new shop for a while. Slowly putting in foam board insulation. The inside of my metal building shop was 107 today. Will probably be fall before I get back in.
: (

Mike

My shop is the 2 car side of my 3 car garage. Insulated door facing south. Many summers we never hit 100, but have had a bunch of those days this summer. Usually dips into the 60s here at night in summer, but still 85 at 11:00 tonight. Humidity is pretty low, no where near what some of y'all are seeing. Massive solar flares/storms the last couple weeks. I have a stand fan I put on casters that moves so much air on low it blows all the paper, etc. off the table, lathe and everything else. I high it rolls until it hits something and stops. Gonna sell it soon.
I have a ceiling fan that moves air around and helps a little. I have not been spending much time out there lately. I too am jealous of you with AC in your shops. But I am not turning pens to make money, just for a hobby. Might try to sell a few when I get better at it.

Stay hydrated,
Mike

randyrls

On an unrelated note: Quick PSA--double check the drill sizes of your kits before you start drilling. I meant to grab two mistral roller balls. Grabbed a mistral ballpoint instead. I should have noticed but I didn't.
Eric; I always hold the drill bit shank up to the end of the brass tube before walking to the drill press. Has saved me making the same mistake.

wouldentu2?

I do my turning in the basement where its warm in the winter and cool in the summer, if I have to cut something I go out to the shop.

The basement temperature has risen 5 degrees over the summer to 70 F, not gloating just appreciating.

Woodchipper

It's hot in SE TN with heat index over 100 degrees.
How hot is it? I saw a dog chasing a rabbit and they were both walking. A mule saw the popcorn popping, thought it was snowing, laid down and froze to death.

Hippie3180

It's been well over 100 in my garage just lately, but we've had 110 this summer and many days hovering around 106/104. I still get out there and just work in short bursts of 30/45 minutes, then it's break time. The heat has been brutal and the dew point as well, I don't sell yet, more of a hobby, but you don't get practice in if you don't get out there.

Alan Morrison

Half of America is sweltering, half of Europe is burning, Australia has had it's coldest July ever, and Ireland is having average temperatures, but the wettest july for a very long time.

howsitwork

Half of America is sweltering, half of Europe is burning, Australia has had it's coldest July ever, and Ireland is having average temperatures, but the wettest july for a very long time.
uk apparently having wettest July on record so far !

Feeling it for you sweating over there people ! Could we ask all the politicians to stop adding to the hot air by NOT talking maybe ??

EricRN

uk apparently having wettest July on record so far !

Feeling it for you sweating over there people ! Could we ask all the politicians to stop adding to the hot air by NOT talking maybe ??
I was in the UK last week. Weather was great! 70 and sunny.

wimkluck

I do agree we have here normal wetter. A lot better then last year. Since I lost 60 kilos I no longer have problems with high temperatures. Now I have problems with low temperatures. I'm getting cold quickly now.

My shop sits in the shade of a couple of bigs trees... only part really exposed to sun is the south wall which has 2 standing shelves full of wood, so maybe acts as insulation.... last time I was out there the temp inside was about 80F degrees... I also have a 20" box fan set up on a 4/4 pedestal that I can move around and direct at me... never all that uncomfortable out there.

Was 93 yesterday at the farmer's market, but fortunately my booth was again under shade trees. As long as I have air movement, don't have any problem... if the air is still I do have some trouble breathing.

jecinco

Put a split unit in the garage (4 car) when I had the house built. Best investment ever....Use it to cool/ warm the entire garage. Original intention was to wall off 2 bays as the shop but I'm guess like a lot of folks here having more space just leads to getting more STUFF (or spreading out all the stuff) and now the shop is all 4 bays and the cars get the heat treatment in the drive way. Now Have to build a shed fr al the lawn care equipment and golf (beer) cart......

the_Doctor

I'm jealous of you guys (and gals) with air conditioned shops!! I was out there tonight, and my lathe was hot--not warm--to the touch. And I'm in Maryland where we're not even getting the worst of it.

On an unrelated note: Quick PSA--double check the drill sizes of your kits before you start drilling. I meant to grab two mistral roller balls. Grabbed a mistral ballpoint instead. I should have noticed but I didn't. Drilled roller ball sized holes in a blank cut for the ballpoint. Thankfully, I figured it out before drilling both halves, so I've only got one half of a blank that's ruined, and I should be able to salvage it and use it for a different kit.
I'm not far away from the PA/DE/MD line so i feel your pain. I just spent $90 on this. It makes a big difference in my 12x20 shed.

Top Bottom