I'm calling this one a draw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Si90

Si90

You know when you start doing something thinking that its going to be really difficult to do, why is it that it's the simple part that turns out to be the most difficult.

I wasn't happy with a carbon fibre blank I made a few weeks ago as I didn't get the weave very straight so I put it to one side. It came back to mind this week so I decided to try and cover as much of it as I could to disguise the carbon. After many ideas I decided to do a watch part pen. I have to admit that I have never been that bothered about this sought of blank but my wife likes them and had bought me a job lot of parts so I thought why not.

In my mind, the casting would be the most difficult part. I don't have a pressure pot or anything like that so I thought the blank would end up with hundreds of bubbles, but no, only 2 VERY small ones - Result, difficult part over - Err no!

I had my very first turning lesson yesterday which is another entirely different story. The result of this though was that I felt much more confident so time to turn the watch blank. Piece of cake, I avoided the parts coming through the resin and a lovely shine. Job done, difficult part over just put it together. Mmmmmm.

What should have crossed my mind is "why are the tubes so tight on the bushings" and not "I should clean the super glue of my bushings". As always I gave the tubes a quick clean inside and then line up the parts and press them home - crack, crack, crack. Same story for both cap and body. Fortunately, I stopped as soon as I spotted them and have had to shorten both tubes to get rid of the cracks. I then filed down the couplers and was successful in getting the pen together. Job done - errr no again. Too cocky, just so the blank gets the last word, I spotted that during the casting process some of the enamel or whatever it is lifted off the edge of the watch face. Its only visible if you look directly from the side but it's still annoying.

After all that I realised that I quite like the pen and the blank really deserves a better kit. I don't know if the tubes were too small or the couplers too big, I haven't got another kit for comparison. Thats why its a draw. The pen did everything to stop me putting it together but I managed it in the end but, it's not perfect and the blank had the last word.

Anyway, here are the pictures. Sorry it's such a long post but had to get it off my chest.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SamThePenMan

Nice work! I'm a fan of the baron kit (I'm assuming its a baron?). I made one some time ago with snakewood. The wood unfortunately cracked while I was drilling it, but I glued the pieces back together and it still looks pretty nice. Somehow maybe when putting it together, the bottom part of the cap got dented a little bit. I guess I wasn't careful enough when pressing it together.

PenPal

Simon,

I just reviewed your contributions and I decree Win Win, and Win thanks to the most brilliant of exhaustive photographs scrutiny I never have given before I am at a loss as to how you can find fault with your unique Pens. Forget WIN,LOSE OR DRAW.

I cant help saying my standard in metal work SKIPRAT, my GURU in WATCH PENS CAPTN G now Si90 SIMON.

What a descriptive clinical exhibition of fine workmanship.

Now I imagine I have one of your creations in my hand never in my life would I see it at this photographed size and a half enlargement, the completely see through finish, thought provoking design from Tip to Top heck I am totally aware how beautiful they are. So soon you shine indeed expose so carefully your specific treatments. There is a Guild of Pen Turning simply submitting your work so far you would be a shoe in a lay down mazare.

You say I had my first turning lesson yesterday Ureka your pen demonstates saturation in practiced thought to action. I find I will be always following everything you display with outright admiration for your humility and guess what your runs are on the board.

Thank you for coming in from where you live joining with SKIPRAT and many others with your lesson in fantastic PEN MAKING.

Kind regards Peter

Top Bottom