If we didn't have bad luck.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

we wouldn't have any luck at all! Our one lonely trainee had some minor foot surgery a couple of days ago. Today, she texted me to say the foot was infected, they were going to do another surgery, and she was in danger of losing her big toe. So now it is just me and Lori, and she can only come one day a week.

This too will pass.

I'm taking two turners on Wednesday, one after the other, and four on Fridays...two at nine and two at 10:15 with Lori and me. We have no assistants at all so all prep work is having to be done at home. My husband is helping as much as he can. We are going to shut the whole shop down for the whole month of August. By September, maybe some of our trainees will be able to turn again. Three are out with serious health problems right now. Also, in the fall a couple of our helpers that leave for the summer will be back. But Bob's eyesight has deteriorated so much that he isn't safe to work with turners. He can supervise sanding and finishing, though, and with prep work and cleanup. It has been a brutal summer for us.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Your dedication shines through brightly, Sharon !

Just do what you can for now and things will get better !

Woodchipper

My grandfather said when you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on! Sounds like things are piling up. Do what you can and things will get better as people mend and heal before getting back to the shop.

TonyL

Hi Sharon: I don't know if this help but, I would be happy to cut, glue, and square blanks for you. Just let me know.

sbwertz

Hi Sharon: I don't know if this help but, I would be happy to cut, glue, and square blanks for you. Just let me know.
Thanks, Tony, but Mark has sent us more than enough ready-to-turn pen kits to get us through until September. It's the other items we are struggling to prep. We have enough peppermill blanks prepped, and lots of handles cut, but they can't be drilled until we know what kit they are going to go with. My husband drilled a bunch of peppermill blanks for us. we make them mostly from 3 or 4 inch diameter limb sections and Stephanie, our best blind turner, comes in when she is free and turns them round for us. She can do them totally without supervision, except for having someone sharpen her tools.

sbwertz

Bless you George...I'm all by myself on Wednesdays now. I have two turners one wanting to make two screwdrivers and the other a BBQ set! Since I don't want to leave them for a month without their projects finished, I figured I'd be there all day! I'll have all the blanks prepped and ready to go on the lathe.

I thought you were already gone for the summer.

George883

Bless you George...I'm all by myself on Wednesdays now. I have two turners one wanting to make two screwdrivers and the other a BBQ set! Since I don't want to leave them for a month without their projects finished, I figured I'd be there all day! I'll have all the blanks prepped and ready to go on the lathe.

I thought you were already gone for the summer.
Got delayed a bit. Leaving at the end of the month.

sbwertz

Today was my last day before my vacation. The center will be closed until I get back because my only other trainer is also going on vacation, and the semester break is coming up the middle of August. Got everything done I needed to do. Hope when I get back a couple of my trainers that are out with health problems will be back.

George, thank you so much for coming and helping me on Wednesday. If you hadn't there is no way I would have been able to get everything done this week.

Top Bottom