Ideas for a female high school graduate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gabericks

I'm going to make my niece a nice pen for graduation but I'm not sure exactly what would be a good fit for a 18-year-old girl, material wise. Don't want to do acrylic per se. Any suggestions would be great

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sly Dog

Most of the pens I've made for my wife's nieces were acrylic in their favorite color, or the colors of the school they are graduating from, or going to. But if acrylic is off the table, there are a ton of other choices that might be of interest to her. For example, the laser cut Kallenshaan blanks come in many many different themes that might be of interest to her. There is also a member here that makes amazing polymer clay blanks (tho I haven't ever turned one of them yet). I'm sure your niece will appreciate any pen made by her favorite uncle. šŸ˜‰

penicillin

All of my pens are gifts. I try to tailor the pen to the recipient.

We don't know much about your niece or her interests. What are her favorite colors? Does she like modern, current stuff that's "in style"? Does like old school, traditional things? Will she be using the pen a lot? Carrying it around in a purse? At her desk? (If it is a desk, then think about giving a pen and pencil set.) I would start by asking myself questions like that.

Is there a special pen kit that matches her interests?

What message would you like to send? A piece of wood that grew in a far-away place (like Africa or South America)? Something that says, "USA"? Bethlehem olive wood? Ancient kauri wood that's 50,000 years old?

Truth be told, any handmade pen from Uncle Gabe will be a most appreciated and treasured gift.

Mikeyt

I have made fountain pens for my nieces in their favorite color. Mostly acrylic since it turns out really nice. One niece really liked red so we did one out of burl wood it was the color she showed us. Turned out beautiful shiny and nice grains, But she did not like it at all she wanted to change it for a different one that was not wood. Even though the burl was more expensive and better looking. I learned that my nephews seem to like wooden pens more and my nieces seem to really like acrylics.
Just my experience with graduation presents. I have down 14 so far for my nieces and nephews.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You might reconsider acrylics. School colors can help sometimes.
mail (1).jpg

qquake

If it were me, I'd go with acrylic in her school colors. Or wood with some engraving. It's been my experience that most girls prefer slim pens. Something like the Groove, perhaps.

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 112.jpg
    112.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 109.jpg
    109.jpg