Iced coffee mug

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Lynch

Dale Lynch

Hey fellas, I made another mug.This one is all walnut,It had a perfect amount of sapwood in it that just so happened to lend itself to create a natural scallopped look.My daughter said it looks like capachino with the lighter rim.I used epoxy to coat the inside and just the rim of the outside.Darn it if a couple white specks found their way into the finish.The recipient still loved the look of the mug anyway.they initaally wanted it for coffee but I could not guarantee him that the heat would not have any long term effects.So he decided to give it to his wife for her iced coffee drinks,which was a perfect idea.She loves the mug.It holds approx 20oz.

I think epoxy is the way to go on things like this in the future,just need some more practice learning to apply it evenly without any dust specs.Really shows up against the dark tones of walnut.The epoxy goes on super glossy but I Think it look better satin or flat, atleast in this instance since the entire piece isn't covered.

Attachments

• DSCF4738.jpg
    DSCF4738.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCF4739.jpg
    DSCF4739.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCF4741.jpg
    DSCF4741.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCF4740.jpg
    DSCF4740.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 144
How do you apply the epoxy? I've never tried that myself... a few years back I did a few "wine" glasses in wood and coated the inside with Plexiglas... never really got to a point where I liked the coating as it never appeared to be really smooth inside...

I put a bunch of Plexiglas scraps in a jar and filled it with acetone... after a few days you have a Plexi solution that can be painted, but not sure of the proportions....my Plexi may have been too thick.

Dale Lynch

Chuck, I mixed up about 2 ounces at a time and applied it with a brush with the lathe running about 20 rpms.Let it run about 4 hrs ( not long enough) then took it off and let it cure a couple days.I applied it so thick that it kept moving although I thought it was stable .There were sags in the finish so i sanded it down.I think that's where the dust got in, couldnt see it at the time. I applied a second coatlike I did the first but let it spinn a couple more hours. IIt had fewer sags than before but it stilll moved some. I think it will have to spin all night or I need to make the coats thinner,Ill have to figure that out.Sanded it smooth again thru 1000grit.

Top Bottom