IAP's First App

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotian12

What a great app. Thank you Edgar and Wayne for all your efforts in putting this together for us. I will put the information in our woodturning Guild newsletter and hopefully gain a few more members for IAP. Thanks. Darrell

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks guys! Just loaded it and went through it about 3 times... Put it next to my iGotCharts app(from Edgar). Wow, lot of work you guys put into this. Really like the instructions for kits. Had started a notebook with kit instructions but, had not kept it up. Now all I have to do is bring out the iPad or iPhone to the workshop with the instructions now at my fingertips!
Thanks again, Jeff

Thanks for the plug, Jeff. :)
The next release of iGotCharts will include a 40-digit scientific calculator - essentially an enhanced TI-36X. It's nearly finished, but that work's been on hold for the last couple of months. :rolleyes:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
What a great app. Thank you Edgar and Wayne for all your efforts in putting this together for us. I will put the information in our woodturning Guild newsletter and hopefully gain a few more members for IAP. Thanks. Darrell

Thanks, Darrell - much appreciated!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
If an Android developer steps up to volunteer, yes!

I have done a fair amount of Android system work but am figuring out making apps, can I get some screenshots of the Ios app?

Sure,
Send me your email address and I will send you some screen shots and a sample of Objective-C code for a simple iPhone display of a set of data utilizing the same database structure that we have in this app. If you can turn that sample into an Android app, then you would have a foundation to build on for implementing the rest of our app. Once that initial step is done, I will provide additional code and guidance to assist with the project.

This same offer is open to anyone else who wants to try tackling a conversion to Android or any other platform.

Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Weighing in at 117MB that sure contains a lot of useful data and will will only get more as we go along.

Nice Job !!!!

Thanks Tom,
You're correct - most of that (about 100MB) is the kit instruction pdf files. The next release will contain even more reference content and the total size will probably be close to 300MB.

We are still a long way from the max limit of 4GB for an iOS app & I doubt if we will get anywhere close to that.

Once we have collected & integrated most of the reference content that we want to include, I will look at ways to optimize the app size. However, the size doesn't impact the app efficiency, just the time that it takes to download & install new releases.

Edgar

Thanks Tom,
You're correct - most of that (about 100MB) is the kit instruction pdf files. The next release will contain even more reference content and the total size will probably be close to 300MB.

We are still a long way from the max limit of 4GB for an iOS app & I doubt if we will get anywhere close to that.

Once we have collected & integrated most of the reference content that we want to include, I will look at ways to optimize the app size. However, the size doesn't impact the app efficiency, just the time that it takes to download & install new releases.

Edgar

I'm not familiar with Ios apps, but wouldn't it be possible to store the PDF's in a cloud and download them only if needed, (offline mode) then the initial app size is smaller. I have seen a few implementations of this on Android but haven't done it myself.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'm not familiar with Ios apps, but wouldn't it be possible to store the PDF's in a cloud and download them only if needed, (offline mode) then the initial app size is smaller. I have seen a few implementations of this on Android but haven't done it myself.

That is certainly possible & in fact, I do download some of the largest PDF files in my iGotCharts app only on the initial demand for those files. The only problem with that approach is that it increases the presentation time delay the first time that file is requested and it requires that the user have Internet access at that time.

It is something that I will consider though once I have gathered most of the content that we want to include with the app.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
The App User Guide has been posted to the IAP library.

It is similar to the version that is in the app, but the library version includes screen shot.

Also, be sure to check out the Library's Whats New link on the IAP Home Page. Wayne has posted the latest bushing & tube charts for all 10 suppliers as of 28 Nov 2015. This reflects the data set used in the initial release of the app.

Wayne has worked hard to clean up and improve the consistency & accuracy of the charts for the app. Please be sure to report any errors, discrepancies or additions to Wayne so we can continue to provide the most accurate & helpful info possible in the charts and the app.

Edgar

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
From one who knows, Edgar has done a great service for the IAP community.

I do hope we get someone serious in developing an Android app.
Here's your chance to give back to the membership.

Thanks again Edgar. Great Job!

Top Bottom