IAP Props

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

So I was thinking about this the other day. I have seen one person on here selling wood, that shafted people. That was a few years ago. However in the facebook groups it seems to happen more often. So +2 points to IAP members for that. Am I just missing times it has happened?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

I haven't been around here long but I remember seeing a wood scam operating out of the Phillippines, but honestly I don't remember how long ago that thread was. I've purchased from a few people here without issue. I've also had members send me stuff for free because I'm new. Seems like a generally nice bunch of folks without the usual social media crap going on as far as I can see.

Lucky2

Yes, you've missed a few, there was a scammer on here just a few months ago, and unfortunately he got a few individuals. And if my memory serves me correctly, he was from the Philippines. Most of the members who got caught up in this, got their money back through Pay-Pal. There has been a few more, but not many. My first purchase on here was one, and I got my money back through Pay-Pal without any issues. So yes it happens here, but not very often. And if this type of issue was compared to all of the sales done on here, I doubt that they would represent .5% at the very most. And to me, that's a darn good average for the good guys to hold. So Cudos/props are owed to the people, who are responsible for stopping them from happening more often...👏👍👍

Len.

Last edited:

Hippoc07

Yes I just made a purchase on here for the first time and seems to have gone really well. I have the shipment details provided and the tracking. I had the package arrive today so I will be checking the items when I get home. But all in all seems to have been a really good place to make a purchase.

leehljp

Member Liaison
There was a guy that sold pen materials about 10-12 years ago and was difficult to get in touch with after orders. He was banned from advertising in one magazine, or it could have been here, if I remember correctly, but he did pop up with a different name a couple of times.

That said, there is/was a problem that happened on two of three occasions in which there was a misunderstanding and people would pile on. Jeff and one or two of the moderators were excellent in controlling this "pilling on". When one guy started his laser inlays, a misunderstanding took place and after sorting it out (fairy simply) that laser inlay company became a good resource for inlays, and that is still into existence today with a good reputation.

There are certain pen makers here that sell professionally and do not post picts because people will copy. For some pen makers, copy is the greatest form of flattery. However, sometimes the blank designs are copied commercially, diminishing the value of the original. That has happened here.

There are a number of ways this happens, but in the end, Jeff and his crew have been excellent in dealing with abuse and bringing about civility here.

jttheclockman

There was a guy that sold pen materials about 10-12 years ago and was difficult to get in touch with after orders. He was banned from advertising in one magazine, or it could have been here, if I remember correctly, but he did pop up with a different name a couple of times.

That said, there is/was a problem that happened on two of three occasions in which there was a misunderstanding and people would pile on. Jeff and one or two of the moderators were excellent in controlling this "pilling on". When one guy started his laser inlays, a misunderstanding took place and after sorting it out (fairy simply) that laser inlay company became a good resource for inlays, and that is still into existence today with a good reputation.

There are certain pen makers here that sell professionally and do not post picts because people will copy. For some pen makers, copy is the greatest form of flattery. However, sometimes the blank designs are copied commercially, diminishing the value of the original. That has happened here.

There are a number of ways this happens, but in the end, Jeff and his crew have been excellent in dealing with abuse and bringing about civility here.
You don't think copying from members here does not go on you are dead wrong. This has been going on for as long as blanks are being made. I started to go into different blanks you see here from various vendors are definite copies but mix colors up some but still copied. I deleted. Buyer beware is the old adage as they say. If there is any problems with vendors here Jeff wants to know so do not be shy in contacting him. You can do it with PM's and if he deems necessary he will alert the forum. Sometimes mistakes happen or illness happens or family matters happen as most vendors here are small potatoes so facts need to be sorted out.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Fortunately over 15+ years, we've managed to keep scammers pretty well contained. We try to act swiftly when we see or are told about something shady. As JT said, please report any for sale posts that don't pass the sniff test, and definitely practice safe buying.

leehljp

Member Liaison
John T. I know that copying goes on and there is no way to stop it except for not posting photos of new creations. For the masses of us, copying is OK, but for the highly artistic and skilled professionals with very unique one-of-a-kind designs, I fully understand them not posting anywhere; instead - showing them only in their walk-in stores.

John, you occasionally post some and I thank you, I can only dream of your precision! You don't have to worry about me copying you, as mine would look like a 3rd rate copy!

jttheclockman

John T. I know that copying goes on and there is no way to stop it except for not posting photos of new creations. For the masses of us, copying is OK, but for the highly artistic and skilled professionals with very unique one-of-a-kind designs, I fully understand them not posting anywhere; instead - showing them only in their walk-in stores.

John, you occasionally post some and I thank you, I can only dream of your precision! You don't have to worry about me copying you, as mine would look like a 3rd rate copy!
Hank I just was making a point to what you said. Yes there are some that think they are hiding their designs but nothing gets hidden unless you never show it. just because we do not see all pens here remember we are a small group of pen turners in the large ocean of pen turners. Just look at the ideas that show up here. Not many new things at all. I have been copied many times and it does not bother me because I do not sell blanks. I rather design my own works and make one or two of them. There are artisans here that can not be copied because their work is just not easy to copy. What does get annoying though is when an original idea is copied it now is sold off as blanks and no mention to the originator. This topic is getting away from the OP thoughts so I will refrain any more from this.

sbwertz

I don't buy anything from anybody who hasn't been a member for a year or so. I support the member vendors whenever possible. New members who suddenly show up with "too good to be true" offers set off all kinds of mental alarms for me. Not just on this board, on any board.

Top Bottom