IAP Needs Your Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well that got your attention - And it's TRUE :).

Very soon Jeff will push the button (or click on a command), and the IAP Site software will be updated.

While the change will go fairly quickly, it is important to realize that this is a PROCESS, not an EVENT. Things will need to be tweaked, things may need to be corrected; it most likely will not be a 100% finished product immediately.

So, what can we do to assist?

Learn.

Dig into the features and learn what is a bit different. Just because things may look a bit different does not mean they are more difficult.

Participate.

If you were active in a specific forum(s), contribute to it again - keep it fresh and relevant. If you are a casual viewer, consider making a few posts or start a few threads. If you have photos to share, please continue.

Assist.

Be patient, be positive, ask questions and help others when you have figured out something and someone asks for assistance.

Appreciate.

IAP has had a long history of dedicated volunteers beginning with Jeff and Scott that have served in many capacities to create this wonderful site. And equal credit goes to the membership for its contributions to foster an atmosphere of promoting something which we can all enjoy and benefit from.

Special credit needs to be given to Jeff. It's not appropriate for me to speak on behalf of the membership - but as one member - Thank You.

This should be an exciting time and I suspect many new features will be available, now it is up to the membership to put it to good use.

If anyone has additional thoughts on how we can assist IAP in this transition, feel free to add your suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I keep checking back just to see if Jeff "Pushed the Button". Looking forward to exploring the new features. The real test (for me anyway) will be when I have to solve Edgar's puzzles

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
If all goes well, the button will be pushed this coming Wednesday. I was hoping to be able to do it with just a short downtime, but we'll be off the air for several hours.

I'll be posting some information Monday evening. No action required on anyone's part, other than the patience Mark suggested above.

EdM

Two suggestions;

1. Open a new forum for the migration where all questions, comments,and issues can be handled in one central location.
2. Is there any way the old and new sites can run concurrently until any bugs and/ or training are complete for the membership ?

Looking forward to the new site.....
Thanks, Marc !

Ed

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Two suggestions;

1. Open a new forum for the migration where all questions, comments,and issues can be handled in one central location.
2. Is there any way the old and new sites can run concurrently until any bugs and/ or training are complete for the membership ?

Thanks, Marc !

Ed

#1. May already be done: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f435/purpose-forum-159319/

greenacres2

Thanks Mark, i'll be A PAL. I'll...

Appreciate,

Participate,
Assist and
Learn!!

I'm really looking forward to not having to click on each photo--any price is worth paying for me in order to get that feature!!
earl

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks Mark, i'll be A PAL. I'll...

Appreciate,

Participate,
Assist and
Learn!!

I'm really looking forward to not having to click on each photo--any price is worth paying for me in order to get that feature!!
earl

Sounds great Earl! This will be a great opportunity for the membership to step up and assist with making this a smooth transition.

I for one am hesitant (not reluctant, maybe just lazy) to learn new technology, while I realize I'll be left in the dust if I don't. I didn't want a cell phone, I didn't want a smart phone, I won't want a pace maker or artificial knee... But, Yes, I need each simply to stay 3 steps behind the world I live in.

I also agree with the photo perk - sweet!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Two suggestions;

Thanks, Marc !

Ed

We will have a forum for check-in and problem resolution. We did that during the last forum switch and it worked well.

The old and new sites cannot run concurrently. There has to be a hard cut-over in order to maintain database consistency.

There will be bugs, inconveniences, and confusion. The old forum is the result of 10 years of customization and it will take time to rebuild that. In a perfect world, everything would be done on the new site before we move, but for lots of reasons, that wasn't feasible. It'll be like moving into a new shop. Tools and supplies will be in boxes for a while. :biggrin:

MDWine

I can only begin to imagine how much work this endeavor entails.
THANK YOU JEFF and ALL involved.

IAP has been the best community that I have seen on-line, and I have no doubt that it will continue to be the best.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I was just wondering if the Featured pens would still be on the front page with the new digs?

Yes, but not immediately. I need to write a widget for that. It will definitely be back.

Priority #1 is making sure that all content comes across, that all users can get logged on, and that people can post in the forums.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just a reminder - lets be active in the next few days and weeks to learn the new site procedures and re-invigorate those forums you have an interest in.

This is your opportunity to be supportive.

It would be great if each forum had 5-10 folks who felt comfortable in giving suggestions and "holding down the fort" for assisting newbies with basic questions. Maybe a nice group of "grey beards" to ease the "younglings" into this craft we love and value.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff you did once many years ago and all went well I am sure that this time it will be the same
I will try to be more active again,.

Great work :good:

Serge, that was 2009! I was younger and had more energy. We'll see how this one goes, but I'm going to need a few naps.:eek:

tbroye

Just checked in after not being on for awhile. Like it look modern and up to date will take a little exploring and training but thats good keep this old brain going.

TonyL

I really like it. I find it very intuitive. I haven't tried all the features and functions yet, but really looking forward to it. Thank you!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The more we play and explore the new site the easier it will be. I had a few days being blocked, but after a PM to Jeff it was easily corrected within a few minutes.

Top Bottom