IAP Forum Etiquette

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

I think there is a difference in misrepresenting words and spelling. Spelling isn't that important to most people because they still get the 'meaning' of the word. Take "their, there and they're" for instance. I think what bothers some folks is the attempted disguising of profanity in some posts.

I really don't think it's about spelling. I was always under the impression that to correct someone's spelling in a group such as this was 'bad form' unless it was a proper name or business name, etc.

To prove this I looked up an old internet article, and here it is:

Cna yuo raed tihs ? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg . The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae . The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mn id deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe . Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
GaryMGg said:
Mike,
Methinks Curtis' reply is superior because in matters such as these y'all need to Operationally Define what it is we must abide by.
"if you are not comfortable with spelling out the word then the word is not appropriate and should not be used" still leaves it up to the individual whereas "If it is acceptable for prime time Television, then it is fine here" follows a proscribed set of rules, regulations and requirements.

To continue with the original purpose of the thread, I'd like to see all iconic forms of communication (aka smilies) banned EXCEPT the cheshire cat grin :biggrin:

I can't count the number of times someone has used a smilie rather than making the time to write what they mean and, in the process, confusing
the issue rather than clearing the air.
It takes time, effort, and energy to write clearly and communicate what's on one's mind.
If someone isn't willing to do it, maybe they should consider not posting until they can clearly translate their thoughts into words?
I know it ain't gonna happen, but I can dream, can't I?!? :biggrin::biggrin:

Why do people try to disguise the words they use then? A word is either acceptable for use on the forum, or it is unacceptable. If it is acceptable, go ahead and use it. If it is not acceptable, changing a few letters to symbols doesn't transform it into an acceptable word.

I don't have any problem at all applying Curtis' standard to communication on the forum. What I am trying to say is that regardless of the standard applied there should never be any reason to try to sneak a vulgar or offensive word into a post. If the word" example" is not a word that is approprite for prime time TV, then writing it out as "exa*ple" doesn't make it any more acceptable.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Just a quick correction, Mike...It is NOT my standard, it is IAP's standard as agreed on by Jeff and myself. I know that is most likely what you meant, just thought I would clarify.

Personally, my language is pretty bad. I grew up hearing it and hear it every day in the construction business. No excuse, just a habit that I have not taken the time to try to break yet. I do not use bad language around my 4 y.o. daughter, though. Don't want her to grow up with it like I did.

mbroberg

Thanks Curtis. I look upon you as the FCC of the IAP.:wink: I know you don't arbitrarily impose your own rules on the membership, you represent the IAP management, and you do it very well.

I too have pretty much a "potty mouth". Not too much offends me after 33 years in law enforcement.

From what I know of you, you should hope your daughter grows up lke you, except prettier!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
maybe

Mike,
Methinks Curtis' reply is superior because in matters such as these y'all need to Operationally Define what it is we must abide by.
"if you are not comfortable with spelling out the word then the word is not appropriate and should not be used" still leaves it up to the individual whereas "If it is acceptable for prime time Television, then it is fine here" follows a proscribed set of rules, regulations and requirements.

To continue with the original purpose of the thread, I'd like to see all iconic forms of communication (aka smilies) banned EXCEPT the cheshire cat grin :biggrin:

I can't count the number of times someone has used a smilie rather than making the time to write what they mean and, in the process, confusing
the issue rather than clearing the air.
It takes time, effort, and energy to write clearly and communicate what's on one's mind.
If someone isn't willing to do it, maybe they should consider not posting until they can clearly translate their thoughts into words?
I know it ain't gonna happen, but I can dream, can't I?!? :biggrin::biggrin:
I really don't see it as a problem here but they can get pretty bad at times on prime time TV. I use a smile now and then to set the tone. I wrote what I meant but I want the reader to know that I didn't write it in a malicious tone.

Last edited:

GaryMGg

Mike,
I wasn't saying trying to mask stuff as s*uff changes the word.
I was saying there are too many diverse opinions to use a standard such as "if you wouldn't type the word, don't use it."
Some will simply type the word rather than trying to mask it.
Many folks I know substitute a letter in common, vulgar language because they believe they're being sensitive to others' feelings.
So, while I agree with your basic premise as a principle, I believe Curtis' suggestion is better because it has a specific set of guidelines which are NOT open to interpretation.
That's why I suggested y'all want to operationally define the terms for posting.
The idea should be as explicit as language permits with the least amount of subjective input as possible.
With a group this large, the less room for misinterpretation the better (in my opinion).
Cheers,
Gary

mbroberg

Many folks I know substitute a letter in common, vulgar language because they believe they're being sensitive to others' feelings.

Gary, my friend, I agree, and this is my point. If the person is not comfortable writing the word as is, because it is considered to be, "common, vulgar language" and feels the need to substitute a letter in order to be sensitve to the feelings of another, they should just find another word.

Gary, my friend, I agree, and this is my point. If the person is not comfortable writing the word as is, because it is considered to be, "common, vulgar language" and feels the need to substitute a letter in order to be sensitve to the feelings of another, they should just find another word.

I have to agree with both on this point.. we need to learn to communicate with our language, not vulgarity...

IPD_Mrs

Mike,
I wasn't saying trying to mask stuff as s*uff changes the word.
I was saying there are too many diverse opinions to use a standard such as "if you wouldn't type the word, don't use it."
Some will simply type the word rather than trying to mask it.
So, while I agree with your basic premise as a principle, I believe Curtis' suggestion is better because it has a specific set of guidelines which are NOT open to interpretation.
That's why I suggested y'all want to operationally define the terms for posting.
The idea should be as explicit as language permits with the least amount of subjective input as possible.
With a group this large, the less room for misinterpretation the better (in my opinion).
Cheers,
Gary

I have to agree with Gary on this one. I would be quite comfortable typing some words that many of you might find offensive. Other words I would not want to type, even though if we were talking I might say them (but not with children around - thus the not typing them.) Therefore when someone says if you aren't comfortable typing it find a different word, my first instinct is that many people would think "fine I'll type what I am comfortable with." This is much like the sexual harassment laws. You could tell me a joke and I wouldn't find it at all offensive - it is relatively hard to embarrass or offend me. Yet, the person standing around the corner who over hears this joke and IS offended has a right to file sexual harassment against you for telling said joke.

Wildman

Read almost every etiquette post here. Did skim over a few redundant postings.

Lot of great ideas.

I hope am not the only happy person here.

Really enjoy this site and personalities here.

Gentleben

I don't write much but there are a couple of things that bug me to no end. I am elderly to say the least and I have a hard time following the abriviations some of you younger guys use. Heck I don't even have a cell phone and I believe they are used in texting. The other thing that bothers me is not putting what a pen is made out of with the pictures I really don't mean to complain. Happy turning from the Permian Basin in far West Texas.
Gentleben

JimB

I don't write much but there are a couple of things that bug me to no end. I am elderly to say the least and I have a hard time following the abriviations some of you younger guys use. Heck I don't even have a cell phone and I believe they are used in texting. The other thing that bothers me is not putting what a pen is made out of with the pictures I really don't mean to complain. Happy turning from the Permian Basin in far West Texas.
Gentleben

This link will help you. It has almost everything listed. It's from the Library Index.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gentleben

Thanks for the comment, David. Maybe if you print out this document and keep it nearby, you will be more easily able to interpret some posts.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf

Stop back often, don't be afraid to ask "What the heck does that mean???" (a saying sometimes abbreviated by a "not so nice" shortening--I'll avoid that!!)

Hope to hear from you again, soon!!

Top Bottom