IAP Facemask...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
So "Wifey" was very bored and wanted to do something useful.

"Hey, I can make you a mask"
"OK, how can I help...?"
"Any T-Shirts you can donate?"
"Yup, due to 'sudden' (LOL) weight gain/loss the last 4 years, these are good to donate."
"Got it..."
So I "donated" a misfitting IAP T-Shirt.

IMG_1098.jpg
IMG_1099.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
If your glasses don't fog up and it stops sawdust, your wife may be on a winner.

The glasses DO fog up.
Not a perfect fit, but hey... It kept Wifey busy for a day and it will be useful.
I suspect when I go to a store in the next 2, 4, 6+ days it will be a fun sight.
As I tell her; you/I need to screw up the design 3-4 times before you get it close to correct.
All is well.

Fred Bruche

An idea for the next item in the IAP store?? πŸ˜…

In all seriousness, several scientific studies have shown that there is actually very little (if any) protection provided by homemade cloth masks against coronavirus. Sure you can wear it but realistically it won't protect you. Stay safe my friend!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

In all seriousness, several scientific studies have shown that there is actually very little (if any) protection provided by homemade cloth masks against coronavirus. Sure you can wear it but realistically it won't protect you. Stay safe my friend!
Yup. You are correct for our info also. But it kept SWMO busy... ;).

Curly

Might improve them a little if they are multi-layered or sewn from something like a thick fleece. What about cleaning and cutting up your dust collector bags!! 😁😷

sbwertz

But it will remind you to keep your fingers off your face.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Might improve them a little if they are multi-layered or sewn from something like a thick fleece. What about cleaning and cutting up your dust collector bags!! 😁😷

SWMBO did think about that. I have 2 HEPA filters ava... 😲 She "thunk" a bit and felt it was not feasible/realistic to be usable. My beard did get the trash bin as it impeeds a fit for the mask, which I reluctantly agree with. Hey, it will grow back next fall!

Stay healthy my friends! 😷 ...

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Cool....so now IAP stands for Infection Acquisition Prevention.
I have one of those images on a sticker that can now go on my false mask ;)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Cool....so now IAP stands for Infection Acquisition Prevention.
I have one of those images on a sticker that can now go on my false mask ;)

False mask ?? Bloody prelicked text is a pain. πŸ˜€ Meant face mask of course

I'm finding absolutely impossible to keep my hands away from my face....:(

monophoto

Lin on the Darbin Orvar channel just posted a video about making two-layer fabric face masks with a pocked to hold a paper filter cut from a pleated paper furnace filter.

One problem with fabric masks is that they could absorb the liquid droplets that contain the virus. On the other hand, they are washable.

Interestingly, I've read a number of reports over the past 24 hours that seem to say that even home-made fabric surgical-style masks are better than no mask at all. I also read that part of the hesitation in recommending widespread use of masks was that with the really good N95 masks being in limited supply, there was a concern that if non-medical types started buying them up, the medical folks who really need them would be in trouble. The other concern was that if not worn properly, they are not very effective.

The reports from Taiwan are that they have avoided much of the virus stress that other countries have encountered. Part of that is due to the fact that they had a comprehensive plan that they implemented as soon as the virus emerged was detected in China, strictly-enforced quarantines, and the fact that in their society, it is fairly routine for people to wear masks in public.

As turners, we should all be accustomed to wearing masks. When I first started turning, I used bought a box of utility dust masks from the hardware store. Still have them - they didn't work well. There is one elastic band that is attached only by a staple and that pulls out when you try to put the mask on. I soon switched to disposable paper N95 masks that I bought at Home Despot or Lowes. They were much better but they weren't very comfortable and caused my glasses to fog. Last year, I bought one of those 'Darth Vader'-style fabric masks that have replaceable filters and exhalation valves. They are rated N99 and should be very good protection against the virus although they probably would scare small children.

Curly

Lin on the Darbin Orvar channel just posted a video about making two-layer fabric face masks with a pocked to hold a paper filter cut from a pleated paper furnace filter.

One problem with fabric masks is that they could absorb the liquid droplets that contain the virus. On the other hand, they are washable.

I was eyeing the vacuum cleaner bags we use in the house for that same purpose. Much thicker than furnace filters, closer to the material used in P95 valved masks.

The idea is to grab those droplets and in normal use the masks are thrown away every time the health care worker comes out of the room, not being made to wear them day after day. So if they were to use home made masks they should have a bunch and just use them once and put them in a container to store them for washing, then put on a fresh one the next time they go back into the contaminated area.

When all this is over there will be a lot of job openings to replace the healthcare workers that are going to die helping patients because they don't have proper PPE.

monophoto

PBS reported tonight that the CDC is going to update their recommendations to suggest that people in congested areas wear fabric (non-N95) face masks.

monophoto

Could've predicted that this would come - research at the Wake Forrest Institute for Rehabilitative Health and Vanderbilt University has found that DIY masks can be reasonably effective if
  • they are constructed from two or more layers of a high thread-count woven fabric, or three or more layers with cheaper outer layers and a third inner layer of flannel
  • they are held in place using adjustable ties around the ears rather than elastic bands around the head
  • a fabric that allows light to shine through makes very poor masks. This includes knitted fabrics such as t-shirting
  • masks should be kept dry. It is easier for viruses to pass through if they become wet
  • masks should be washed to avoid contamination, but with the caution that the effect of bleach and harsh detergents on the long-term filter effectiveness of fabric masks hasn't been studied
  • N95 masks are certified to block 95% of particles of a specified size. Surgical masks typically remove 62-65%. Some DIY masks were found to filter up to 79%
Yup - anything can become science!

Last edited:

mick

Nice mask! If I feel the need to get out I'm going to wear my Trend Air shield!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

randyrls

I saw a video on YouTube on how to slice a toddlers diaper to make an improvised mask. Make sure it isn't used.... Ewwwwww!!!!!!!

I wonder how a Darth Vader headgear would work??:D

sbwertz

I saw someone with a dual canister respirator today going into 'Walmart. I was doing a curbside pickup and saw him walk by. I wear an ordinary dust mask, just to keep my hands off my face. I am amazed at how often I find myself touching that mask! It is a dust mask, not a medical grade mask, but it keeps me from touching my face all the time. I had to go to a Dr. appointment this morning and do a Walmart pickup. It's great, you just order online, then when they email you you go to the store, park in one of the numbered slots, and call the posted number and give your name and the slot number. Pretty soon they bring out your order and put it in your car. You don't even have to get out of the car.

monophoto

After ten years of doing the annual tuneup on my lawnmower myself, I decided that this year it might make sense to get it done professionally. So I dropped it off at the repair shop - about three days before the lockdown started.

When the repair guy called to say it was ready, I gave him a credit card number to pay for the service, and told him that I would call to tell him just before we arrived to pick it up. And when that happened, I wanted him to leave it on the sidewalk outside his shop so I could pick it up in a socially-distant manner.

So yesterday, my son and I drove to the shop. When we got there, we put on our masks and rubber gloves, and before loading the mower into the car, I wiped it down with Chlorox wipes. I waved at the repair guy through the glass door to his shop.

But the point of this story is that in the course of the drive to the shop and back, we saw two or three dozen people out and about - and other than my son and I, there was only one other person wearing a mask.

Am I mistaken, or is the shortage of common sense greater than the shortage of toilet paper?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Am I mistaken, or is the shortage of common sense greater than the shortage of toilet paper?

No Louie, you are not mistaken. And sadly, many folks feel re-assured by the "numbers" being reported (terrible, but lower so far than the estimates). They are not listening and learning that the reported "numbers" are horribly lower than reality - not enough tests ava, not enough actual testing, and many folks are passing away and never getting tested - so their numbers are not included...yet.

It will take many months after this historical calamity for the truth to be known on how terribly unprepared we were, and how many actually died.

Finally, many who have a moderate to severe virus episode, but recover will have lasting lung damage.

studioseven

Wife went to Walmart today to buy some elastic to make some masks. Unfortunately they were all sold out.

Seven

henry1164

Youtube has several videos on making masks without sewing and using hair bands, rubber bands, etc. No elastic needed. NY governor has recommended masks for all when out in public along with social distance. Wife and I use our masks.

sbwertz

You can take a sock and cut a narrow band from the top of the sock to make the no-sew masks, instead of a headband. They are softer and more comfortable on the ears, too.

magpens

That guy looks familiar !! . (Just trying to keep this thread at the top of the list.)

Curly

More and more people here are wearing masks, including home made, when they are out. When in patron limiting line ups there are 1 in 20 or so wearing them. Nobody is getting shot for wearing them but we aren't trigger happy either. ;) I have a P95, 3M 8271 from the shop, that I wear along with gloves and alcohol spray sanitizer. Also have Lysol wipes to clean my gloves and the door knobs etc of the car. Keep that out of sight though. Some stores even have someone at the door spraying everyone's hands with sanitizer as they come in the store. πŸ‘

At first the government said not to bother with the masks, just distance and washing were all that necessary they said. :rolleyes: Now they say to use home made masks or scarves and leave the N95 masks for health care workers. You can't buy them anyway and haven't been able to for weeks. Now I did see a guy with a half mask the other day and if I need to I can use my full face mask. :) I looked briefly at the Trend but concluded that it would be too hard to clean the innards and the filters are way too costly.

The Trend may look difficult but it's pretty easy to work on. I've had this for probably 2 years now and haven't had to replace the filters yet. I take them out and vacuum them off and they're like brand new and work perfectly. The only problem I had with this unit was the initial cost and as you pointed out, the filters are not cheap. But I wear glasses and the paper masks always fogged up on me. This doesn't. It can get a bit heavy on the neck after wearing it all day but I normally wear it for only around 3 hours a days so it's not too bad.

Curly

For normal intended use it would be fine except for the weight. Gimpy neck. Getting it clean of viruses and bacteria picked up by the boss (Marla) working as a nurse is what I was referring to. ;)

monophoto

In an earlier post in this thread, I said "As turners, we should all be accustomed to wearing masks. When I first started turning, I used bought a box of utility dust masks from the hardware store. Still have them - they didn't work well. There is one elastic band that is attached only by a staple and that pulls out when you try to put the mask on. "

Just out of curiosity, I tried to solve that problem. After all, we are currently housebound, and it's raining so indulging in curiosity is a good thing! So I first started by putting a dab of PVA glue between the elastic band and the mask fabric adjacent to where the band was stapled to the mask to reinforce the stapled attachment. To get a good bond, I put a clamp on the glue joint until the glue cured. This seemed to address the problem of the band tearing away from the mask. However, the process was slow - apply the glue, attached the clamp, wait for the glue to cure and then repeat on the other side of the mask.

So I said to myself, "Myself, wouldn't it be faster to use hot-melt glue?". Again, that hypothesis proved to be correct - it only took seconds for the hot glue joint to cool enough to be handled, so it really wasn't even necessary to use the clamp. But I noticed something very curious - - - there was no problem when I put a drop of hot glue on the band and pressed it against the mask fabric, but when I tried to put the glue directly onto the fabric and then press the band into that bead of glue, something strange happened. I finally determined that touching the tip of the hot glue gun to the fabric caused the mask fabric itself to melt.

I was under the impression that these masks were made from paper. Not all papers are created equal - there is a small paper mill not far from here that I know makes specialty paper specifically for filter applications - automotive air and oil filters, furnace filters, etc. But the fact that the fabric in these masks melts when exposed to heat suggests that it's made from some kind of artificial (plastic) fiber rather than cellulose based fiber. That's interesting! I don't know what brand they are or where I bought them, and I have only tried this with this one box of masks so I don't know if this is a universal thing, but others may have similar experiences.

Last edited:

WriteON

After ten years of doing the annual tuneup on my lawnmower myself, I decided that this year it might make sense to get it done professionally. So I dropped it off at the repair shop - about three days before the lockdown started.

When the repair guy called to say it was ready, I gave him a credit card number to pay for the service, and told him that I would call to tell him just before we arrived to pick it up. And when that happened, I wanted him to leave it on the sidewalk outside his shop so I could pick it up in a socially-distant manner.

So yesterday, my son and I drove to the shop. When we got there, we put on our masks and rubber gloves, and before loading the mower into the car, I wiped it down with Chlorox wipes. I waved at the repair guy through the glass door to his shop.

But the point of this story is that in the course of the drive to the shop and back, we saw two or three dozen people out and about - and other than my son and I, there was only one other person wearing a mask.

I tend to say some ...People are in space.

Top Bottom