IAP ESTATE BLANK FUNDRAISER - FINAL SUMMARY

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
WELL DONE IAP!!!
When the IAP Estate Blank Fundraiser was begun in September of 2016. There were a few objectives:
1. IAP would not "lose" money. (IAP did in fact purchase these blanks).
2. The membership of IAP would see some benefit.
3. The blanks would not be wasted.

As of yesterday, the last of the blanks were sold, and IAP can be proud that our membership met all three objectives.

I have sent Jeff a summary of the project as my records show. As all payments went to the IAP PayPal account, which I do not have access to, I'll simply say that the membership of IAP has a lot to be proud of!

So, some fun facts:

The initial car load of blanks that I drove home from Columbus, Ohio included 29 boxes with over 5,800 blanks and spindles. I thought there were less, I was wrong. Here is where they went!

500 (+/-) I deemed unusable.
470 (+/-) Have been used as donations in several BASH's, new member activities one MPG.
140 I still have for future donations.
4,729 Were sold directly to the IAP membership.

The project took about 3 1/2 years!

Over 100 different species of blanks, most in small lots of 10-20 blanks each. A few had over 150 blanks.
190 individual orders
178 boxes mailed
103 different IAP members participated in the fundraiser. This is awesome!

I would like to give a shout out to Dawn/Ed at Exotic Blanks for donating two HUGE bags of packing peanuts. I have about 1/3 of the last bag left. They came in very handy, thank you.

A few last comments. These blanks were purchased by a non-IAP member as well as we could determine. But he was retired Military, was a skilled pen turner, had amassed a huge collection of blanks, and it was an honor to insure that his passion for pen turning was passed on.

Finally, if you are ever invited out to lunch with Jeff and Mike Broberg, don't play "Rock, Paper, Scissors"...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

Mark--i've benefitted greatly from IAP's initial investment in this project, but it would not have been possible without your generous donation of time and energy (not to mention your wife's patience!!). Beyond some fantastic deals on wooden blanks, the financial support to IAP that this brought has in turn helped to educate me and hundreds of others.

A simple thank you is not enough, but it's all we have. So...to Jeff, Mark, Mike and all others involved...THANK YOU!!
earl

PBorowick

I also have benefited from this project. I can't thank Mark and all the others involved with this work enough. From their investment of time and energy I have a great collection of blanks to use that I could never have afforded otherwise.
I am very happy is goes back to support this website which offers a huge amount of knowledge in its members and the library.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
To say that I have been overwhelmed by Mark's effort on this would be a huge understatement. His effort and generosity, and the willingness of our members to purchase these blanks, have put us in a secure financial position for many years. Mark handled this mountain of blanks the way he approaches everything -- good planning, persistence, and a positive attitude.

Mark, your commitment to IAP, and all you do for us, are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark--i've benefitted greatly from IAP's initial investment in this project, but it would not have been possible without your generous donation of time and energy (not to mention your wife's patience!!). Beyond some fantastic deals on wooden blanks, the financial support to IAP that this brought has in turn helped to educate me and hundreds of others.

A simple thank you is not enough, but it's all we have. So...to Jeff, Mark, Mike and all others involved...THANK YOU!!
earl

Earl, it is members like you that made this fundraiser successful. I can put countless blanks up for sale, but there is no benefit to IAP unless members bought them. To me, it was a win-win.

Thanks for your support.

Cheers, Mark

I also have benefited from this project. I can't thank Mark and all the others involved with this work enough. From their investment of time and energy I have a great collection of blanks to use that I could never have afforded otherwise.
I am very happy is goes back to support this website which offers a huge amount of knowledge in its members and the library.

The knowledge base of IAP is wonderful, and it's members are a great support to keep it available. I will suggest to you Paul, as I know the blanks you have ordered... Be mindful of the "nasty, sticky, ugly blanks", they are gems in the rough. I just turned a very sticky blank that was returned as "unacceptable." It was replaced with a nice Amboyna blank. I just turned it and it is a beautiful burl - previously coated in a nasty, sticky coating! LOL. (I'll post it tomorrow.) Oh, I have 6 more of these!

Paul, Thanks for your support. We look forward to seeing a few pens from your purchases.

Mark

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
To say that I have been overwhelmed by Mark's effort on this would be a huge understatement. His effort and generosity, and the willingness of our members to purchase these blanks, have put us in a secure financial position for many years. Mark handled this mountain of blanks the way he approaches everything -- good planning, persistence, and a positive attitude.

Mark, your commitment to IAP, and all you do for us, are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

It was indeed a mountain! But as eating an elephant - you just chew - bite by bite until done. (apologies to elephant fans).

IAP is above else, a volunteer community. If this was helpful to IAP, mission accomplished.

Again, I thank the IAP membership for their support! We kept the lights on.

Cheers Mates, Mark

1080Wayne

Hope you are having a good nights rest Mark , not losing sleep over over worrying about how many of the ` "nasty, sticky, ugly blanks" , they are gems in the rough. ` ended up in the fireplace with the `500 (+/-) I deemed unusable.`

Looking forward to my box . I know I will enjoy it , even if there are no `nasty , sticky , uglies` . Thank you for digesting the elephant .

BarryE

Great job Mark, your huge contribution to pull this all together has been a benefit to the whole community, and will continue forward.
I enjoyed receiving my box of blanks...it was like an early Christmas present

Top Bottom