IAP Collection Primer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
In response to a longstanding and active IAP member who was not aware of what the IAP Collection is, This thread will be used as a background overview for folks who are not familiar with the IAP Collection. I am currently (8/2016) drafting a formal Library Article for IAP that will include history, structure, holdings, links within IAP, etc. The IAP Collection is but one "tool" in the rack for IAP, but it is there in the back and gets appropriately dusted off when the time is right!!!

Start Here: The IAP Collection

1. The IAP Collection is a PHYSICAL Collection of pens from IAP members, assembled explicitly for public display. Initiated in the summer of 2014, it was introduced to the IAP members in January 2015.

With so much of our daily lives going digital, including participation within IAP's Forum, we as pen turners simply appreciate being able to hold, feel and see in our own hands the artistry of others... Pictures are nice, but to actually hold a pen from Greece, a material unfamiliar to us, a technique displayed that we want to try; well, this is special.

2. A group of pens were assembled to "jump-start" the collection, which included several categories of IAP members (i.e., Master artists; blank makers; historical, etc...)

3. While initiated by an individual member, the IAP Collection from DAY ONE, was to be (and now is) the property of IAP. A notarized "Gift Deed" has been finalized to insure that all holdings in the IAP Collection, past and future, will belong to IAP.

4. As of today (8/30/2016) there are now 47 pens, and several noteworthy blanks in the Collection.

5. The IAP Collection has been displayed at large Woodturning Meetings, Regional Penturning Gatherings, State IAP Chapter Meetings and small local gathering of 2-6 IAP members.

While I am admittedly biased, my firsthand impression is that folks who have viewed the IAP Collection "IN PERSON" are sincerely impressed at the breadth and scope of this small beginning. There is a wide variety of styles, materials, techniques and skills represented; to say nothing of the world-wide representation (Israel, Greece, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, USA). The "International" of IAP is well displayed.

6. After the "jump-start" was initiated (there may be a few more pens added from the initial invitees), subsequent additions have come from: 1) Optional BASH Contests donations; 2) Showings at Chapter Meetings where the local Chapter has the OPTION (not requirement) to have a "Best of show" contest to donate a pen; and Regional IAP Gatherings (MPG, MAPG, FLGAPG). The option is also open for special additions through direct commissions, Auctions, Sales, etc as they are available.

Any and all comments, suggestions and thoughts pertaining to the IAP Collection is openly welcomed publicly in this thread, or privately through a PM to me (mark james) as long as I am the current caretaker.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

The Collection

Wonderful idea to chronicle the history of the collection. Well done!

Trying to recall....were you also able to have the collection insured?

Might be something to consider if the IAP has the funds to do that.

Take care Mark!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wonderful idea to chronicle the history of the collection. Well done!

Trying to recall....were you also able to have the collection insured?

Might be something to consider if the IAP has the funds to do that.

Take care Mark!

I have talked to two Insurance Agents, and both have not gotten back to me. I suspect this is a "unique" holding to be insured, that they have little experience with. This has been a lower-priority concern, so I have not put the effort into it yet. But... month-by-month the need increases, so I will work on this this fall.

Thanks for the poke Charlie!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I think it was a whole lot of work, well done by a whole lot of people. Especially those who coordinated putting this collection together. Thank you Mark and Jeff!

The initial work is all done, so now the Collection can grow at its own pace. With 47 current holdings; adding 5-7 per year, IAP will have a nice robust collection in 3-4 years of about 75+ pens.

I hope to visit Chapters in Minnesota and Ohio this current year - 2016. Then try to make the East Coast Chapters in 2017. Head West in late 2017/2018... (Yea, I have bold plans). But, maybe a change in leadership would be good - hint, hint...

If anything, the IAP Collection should be seen by the IAP membership - wherever that may be!

Top Bottom