IAP Collection - Pen #16

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Next in the review highlighting the holdings of The IAP Collection. And a nice introduction for newer members who were not here for the evolution of this ongoing project.

Pen #16 - Bob Wemm (Bob Wemm) - "Australian Grass Tree Roman Harvest".
Added to the Collection: 10/30/2014.

IAP Collection Announcement
IAP Collection Photo Album (I will be updating this, but the link does work)
IAP Collection Display History

I will also mention, that I am open for requests for chapters/gatherings that would like for a display of the IAP Collection in 2020+.

IMG_1560.JPG

Lucky2

Mark, there sure is a lot of outstanding pens in he I.A.P. collection, it would be a shame for any of them were damaged. So, with taking that into consideration, how does the collection get to a turning club for display without getting lost or damaged? Is there insurance on the collection, and how would you prove the worth of the pens if lost or damaged? Just because you place a value of, let's say two hundred dollars on a pen that got damaged. Why would an insurance company place the same value on the pen? Especially, if they look up the price of the kit the pen was made out of, was only $15.00? How would you or a lawyer argue the point, do you think that a judge would know the true value of a handmade pen, no matter what the blank was made out of? I've dealt with many insurance companies over the years, and from my pat experiences. They were very tight-fisted with their money, they wouldn't pay a penny more then what they said an item was worth. Eventually, I quit doing work for them. Personally, I think that would be a hard sell, hopefully we will ever have the need to find out? How would you argue the point, because they most definitely would want to know how you came up with the price you placed on the pen.
I'm not trying to get anyone upset or anything going, with these questions. It's just something that got me "thinking" about the insurance, we have on these pens. I try to not do that very often, it tends to get me in trouble.

Len

P.S. Would it be possible, to have these pens shipped to Canada for a club display? And how would you go about shipping them there, if it was possible to have them for the display? No, I am not asking for the loan of them for a turner's club display, I'm just being curious. And seeing how curiosity killed the cat, please don't get any ideas of killing me because of the questions I seek answer for...😄

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, there sure is a lot of outstanding pens in he I.A.P. collection, it would be a shame for any of them were damaged. So, with taking that into consideration, how does the collection get to a turning club for display without getting lost or damaged? Is there insurance on the collection, and how would you prove the worth of the pens if lost or damaged? Just because you place a value of, let's say two hundred dollars on a pen that got damaged. Why would an insurance company place the same value on the pen? Especially, if they look up the price of the kit the pen was made out of, was only $15.00? How would you or a lawyer argue the point, do you think that a judge would know the true value of a handmade pen, no matter what the blank was made out of? I've dealt with many insurance companies over the years, and from my pat experiences. They were very tight-fisted with their money, they wouldn't pay a penny more then what they said an item was worth. Eventually, I quit doing work for them. Personally, I think that would be a hard sell, hopefully we will ever have the need to find out? How would you argue the point, because they most definitely would want to know how you came up with the price you placed on the pen.
I'm not trying to get anyone upset or anything going, with these questions. It's just something that got me "thinking" about the insurance, we have on these pens. I try to not do that very often, it tends to get me in trouble.

Len

P.S. Would it be possible, to have these pens shipped to Canada for a club display? And how would you go about shipping them there, if it was possible to have them for the display? No, I am not asking for the loan of them for a turner's club display, I'm just being curious. And seeing how curiosity killed the cat, please don't get any ideas of killing me because of the questions I seek answer for...😄

Hi Len:

You bring up two issues.
1. Insurance
2. Display arrangements

1. Insurance: Back in 2015 I did contact several Insurance Agencies for possible coverage options. Basically it would have been very costly, difficult to get acceptable estimates and of questionable value - since one of the purposes of Insurance is to possibly replace the items, but in most cases these pens while maybe not of a high dollar value are in fact largely irreplaceable. So it was decided that no insurance would be pursued at that time.

2. Display Arrangements: All displays up till now have been done by me. I have tried within my limits to have the collection displayed in a variety of settings. I enjoy driving, so the occasional road trips are fun. When I do these trips, I try to have 2-3-4 showings within 7-10 days, so I need to have several clubs/events for it to be worthwhile.

If I can get 2-3 clubs to arrange meetings within a week, I will consider making the trip. Several years ago there seemed to be more IAP Chapter get-togethers, but this seems to be declining, and more regional get-togethers are popping up.

I have considered getting to SWAT and doing several clubs as I drive there and back; that sounds like fun.

I have not devoted much effort to explore sending the collection and have another IAP member be responsible for displaying it, but this is certainly an option.

I will say this, I suspect I will handle this project for a few more years (2-3?), then pass the torch to another member.

I appreciate your questions and thoughts.

Top Bottom