IAP and Programs for Visually Impaired Woodturners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The IAP Community has a new project: Assisting with the Programs for Visually Impaired Woodturners,
established by Andi Sullivan

Briefly, Andi has in conjunction with annual AAW Symposiums established Woodturning Programs at host cities, at local agencies that serve Blind and Visually Impaired clients. Currently there are programs in Tampa, Atlanta, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Portland and Phoenix (led by our very own sbwertz).

Each program, while independently operated, relies on some organizational assistance from Andi. The IAP Membership will not be taking on a leadership role, but will be strictly serving to assist in several helpful ways.

1. Ordering woodturning kits in bulks amounts to save individual groups' expenses.
2. Obtaining blanks through donations or direct purchase.
3. Complete blank preparation (cut, drill, tube and mill) for each kit.
4. Mailing the paired blanks/kits to Andi for dispersal to the programs as needed.

Other options to assist:

1. Members can purchase kits and mail to myself or Andi (We would like to stay with specific kits that the programs are currently familiar with; I can supply the ordering codes).
2. Members can purchase kits/blanks, do the complete preparation and send the paired kits to a supplied address.
3. Members can volunteer to do the blank preparation - I would send you tubes and blanks, send back to me and after a bulk amount is organized, forward to Andi.
4. If members have extra kits/blanks that the schools currently use, that is also fine.

At this time, I will be the IAP Contact and will handle the bulk purchases, mailing out materials, accepting prepped blanks, organizing and forwarding to Andi, or where she prefers the materials to be sent. This sounds like a lot of work, but I actually expect this to be pretty "low maintenance" once up and running. I just want to avoid Andi receiving boxes of very nice, but random materials from all different sources. A bit of organization will be helpful to her.

So, this can be a nice way for individual members to assist if they so choose, or even a nice Chapter Activity.

After my initial thread announcing that this was in the works I have been contacted by a few IAP members who already have pledged support, so this is up-and-running. The first bulk order will go out later this week, and when received, I can begin the blank-prep chores with assistance.

Anyone wishing to assist can PM me: Mark James

Andi and Sharon - Feel free to amend/correct/add any comments or information I missed!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
OK Mark, let us know what kits, blanks, and other supplies you need and I'm sure members of our organization will step up to the task.
Let me know how much 2P-10 CA Glue you want and I'll make sure you get it!

Swagopenturner

PM on its way.

Thank you.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have many blanks of many types. What type of blanks do they primarily work with?

They are not interested in "Purty" blanks... Dry, Solid, not challenging to turn, and pretubed. Most of the clients will turn 1-3 kits, then not return unless they get the woodturning "bug." Key rings are essential for their lifestyle needs, and single barrel kits are next in line. (i.e., single barrel, paired bushings the same dimensions, easy assembly). Some folks are partially sighted, some are fully blind, so a variety is nice. And yes, some have gotten the "bug" and bought a lathe and progress nicely within their abilities and interests.

Initially, lets concentrate on solid wood blanks (This is the least need, as most of us have lots to share). After I get a better concept of where the different programs are skill-wise, we can consider acrylics. But this brings in another set of finishing skills. As I understand it, they are doing mostly friction finishes, occasionally some do a CA with assistance.

I will have a better concept of what Andi needs as we progress with this, but for now IAP has been AWESOME! In 1/2 of a day we have 8 volunteers willing to prep blanks, and numerous donations.

Again, IAP Rocks! :RockOn:

sbwertz

Mark, the other thing we all really need is slimline bushings. We use them for both slimline pens and keychains. Also, Gatsby/Sierra/Wall Street bushings.

The only way our turners know they are at the bushings is often by hearing the sound of the tool on metal. As a result, the bushings rapidly get turned down so they are too small. (All our brass mandrel nuts have lost their knurling, too LOL.)

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, the other thing we really need is slimline bushings. We use them for both slimline pens and keychains. Also, Gatsby/Sierra/Wall Street bushings. The only way our turners know they are at the bushings is often by hearing the sound of the tool on metal. As a result, the bushings rapidly get turned down so they are too small.

Gotcha! Orders for 100 bushing sets were already done yesterday, with 500 kits! IAP Has got your back! Probably 1-2 weeks from yesterday.

We are up to 10 additional volunteers as of tonight to assist with blank prep. Sooooo nice to throw out an opportunity for assistance, and get a wonderful response!

IAP is a community. And we assist our neighbors.

Last edited:

TonyL

I didn't read the above, but I will donate $25 - just tell me where to send. I also have about 50 of the stock Parker style refills, you are welcome to all of them.

leehljp

Member Liaison
AmazonSmile

Mark, Sharon, and others,

I think what you are doing is absolutely great. I think many here contribute to charitable organizations far more than is known. I recently discovered a method of contribution that is not much but it can help when enough people use it: AmazonSmile.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/about/ref=smi_aas_redirect?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

I signed up for this a few months ago and set it up to contribute to a local charity. IF some people here are not aware of it, and if enough sign up for it and list the organization/programs that Sharon works, it could help considerably.

I live in a small town about 30 miles from a metro area and don't have time to drive and find the things I need regularly, so I do use Amazon two or three times a month for various needs. My usage probably donates only $1 to $2 a month to my favorite charity - an orphanage.

I do not know if these programs for the blind are on the Smile list of supported organizations or not, but I was surprised to find the orphanage that I contribute to - on the list.

Not sure how this will work, but did want to let you know that there are other possibilities for helping also. Every little bit helps.

sbwertz

Mark, Sharon, and others,

I think what you are doing is absolutely great. I think many here contribute to charitable organizations far more than is known. I recently discovered a method of contribution that is not much but it can help when enough people use it: AmazonSmile.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/about/ref=smi_aas_redirect?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

I signed up for this a few months ago and set it up to contribute to a local charity. IF some people here are not aware of it, and if enough sign up for it and list the organization/programs that Sharon works, it could help considerably.

I live in a small town about 30 miles from a metro area and don't have time to drive and find the things I need regularly, so I do use Amazon two or three times a month for various needs. My usage probably donates only $1 to $2 a month to my favorite charity - an orphanage.

I do not know if these programs for the blind are on the Smile list of supported organizations or not, but I was surprised to find the orphanage that I contribute to - on the list.

Not sure how this will work, but did want to let you know that there are other possibilities for helping also. Every little bit helps.

I've been using Amazon Smile for a long time. I use Amazon a lot, so it is a painless way to contribute to a favorite charity.

sbwertz

Mark, the other thing we really need is slimline bushings. We use them for both slimline pens and keychains. Also, Gatsby/Sierra/Wall Street bushings. The only way our turners know they are at the bushings is often by hearing the sound of the tool on metal. As a result, the bushings rapidly get turned down so they are too small.

Gotcha! Orders for 100 bushing sets were already done yesterday, with 500 kits! IAP Has got your back! Probably 1-2 weeks from yesterday.

We are up to 10 additional volunteers as of tonight to assist with blank prep. Sooooo nice to throw out an opportunity for assistance, and get a wonderful response!

IAP is a community. And we assist our neighbors.

That's GREAT Mark. We go through those bushings at an amazing rate here! The result is pens that are overturned and too small for the kits. And believe me, those blind turners notice. They have amazingly sensitive fingers.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
A HUGE Thank You to the 10 volunteers who have pledged support. Through everyone helping a bit, a LOT of progress has been made.

The first shipment of 500 kits and 100 bushings arrived, has been sorted, and the first 90 kits are being sent out for blank prep. More will get packaged this weekend.

And the Tampa Program has received a new lathe - their older one will possibly be sent to a new program for younger students in a local school for the blind to start a program there.

Kudos to:

Malcolm Zander - AAW contact who first facilitated Andi's involvement
Andi Sullivan - Who took a concept, had a dream and made it a reality for others benefit.
Sharon Wertz - Who first showed IAP how we can assist.

And for the recent involvement that I have been assisting with:

Jet Lathe
PSI Industries
dalecamino
EBorraga
Stonepecker
dieseldoc
swagopenturner
scissortail pens
MBroberg
Cwalker935
Magicbob
TonyL

Anyone else care to join the fun - let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 151

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just an update:

The initial 90 kits (i.e., tubes and blanks) were mailed out for blank prep on Saturday. 120 more are all boxed and will be mailed tomorrow AM. So there are 210 kits in-process with IAP Volunteers.

I have 290 more ava for blank prep. (I am also hosting a "Blank Prep Party" in November which will clear the shelves of whatever is not done).

IAP has been awesome in it's response. Many thanks!

Skie_M

I have an Idea I would like to contribute to this .....

If it could be possible to get a low powered laser cutter/engraver to them .... and set it up to where it could cut a flat on one side of the finished pens and keychains, leaving behind the appropriate series of bumps that would spell out their name in braille ....

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have an Idea I would like to contribute to this .....

If it could be possible to get a low powered laser cutter/engraver to them .... and set it up to where it could cut a flat on one side of the finished pens and keychains, leaving behind the appropriate series of bumps that would spell out their name in braille ....

Keep thinking Greg! I'll send a PM tomorrow and we can chat and ponder the possibilities! I have no experience with engraving, but appreciate it's possibilities. This is an open-ended assist-project... yes, we can be creative!

Be well, mark

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
First set of materials are on their way.

Just an update. The first 40 sets of prepped blanks are on their way to programs in Kansas City, Pittsburgh and Portland.

There are an additional 210 sets currently being prepped (blanks cut, drilled, tubed and milled) by six IAP members.

Thanks to all for your support. If anyone wants to assist, just send me a PM.

Sorry for the upside down picture, but you get the idea!

Attachments

• IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 156

Skie_M

..... how and why did you glue all that stuff to the ceiling? how are the blind people gonna find em if you keep em up there?!??

Seriously, what's goin on here?

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I'll have my blanks finished by Sunday. Cut all of them to size last night. Tonight will be drilling on the lathe!! Kind of reminds me watching Gerry to production turning!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'll have my blanks finished by Sunday. Cut all of them to size last night. Tonight will be drilling on the lathe!! Kind of reminds me watching Gerry to production turning!!

I had never prepped 40 blanks at one time! I have a new-found respect for those that do shows.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam

I had never prepped 40 blanks at one time! I have a new-found respect for those that do shows.

I agree 100%. If I had to do it on a monthly basis, I'd never sell a pen!! I may never step foot in my shop again!! And all i've done is cut to length. Tonight is drilling and possibly gluing

sbwertz

The wife of one of my blind turners will come in, and while he is turning, she will cut, drill, tube and mill blanks for us. She is very quiet, and she is a total self-starter. She just comes in and sees what need to be done and does it. I wish I could clone her!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Shout-Out to the IAP Membership

Just a brief update. I sent out 250 tubes with blanks for prepping to assist the Penturners with Visual Impairments Programs (This may be getting renamed).

I did 40 myself, and have received 210 back. About 60 more are "in progress" and will appear in due course.

I cannot say enough good things about the IAP Community. THANK YOU TO THE 12 VOLUNTEERS!

The first picture is of the prepped blanks - which is exactly what is needed. The second is the next 250 kits that will be prepped in the next 2-3 months.

On an annual basis, I suspect these regional programs could (combined) use 1500 - 2000 kit blanks prepped. (They are working on reimbursing the kit costs, so IAP members just need to prep whatever is sent, and pay postage to return - SFRB - $7.20 for 30-40 prepped blanks).

40 paired kits/blanks have already been sent to programs in Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Portland, so our efforts are already being appreciated. This is a very low-maintenance project open for any IAP member to join, just send me a PM and I'll figure out where you can have a positive impact.

IAP... You folks rock!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1037.jpg
    IMG_1037.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1038.jpg
    IMG_1038.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 146

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I've been loosely following along with this project and think it's really cool!
You mentioned there being a chapter in Portland - I'm assuming Oregon?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Hi Eric:

It is the newest program, just getting it's sea-legs. I have not heard much about it yet, but hopefully will be spreading its wings and growing.

It is located here:

Oral Hull Park,
13233 SE Oral Hull Rd
Sandy, OR 97055

There is a possibility they could use assistance if you have any interest.

Best Regards, Mark

Top Bottom